Syracuse will finish its non-conference schedule against Tulane on Saturday:
DEVON’S DEN: The Tulane community has rallied around former safety Devon Walker, who was paralyzed after a helmet-to-helmet collision with teammate Julius Warmsley during a Sept. 8, 2013 game against Tulsa. Despite the life-threatening injury and being confined to a wheelchair, Walker has remained positive, and continues to work toward his molecular biology degree. The school has been selling t-shirts and wristbands to support “Devon’s Den,” an 800-square-foot addition to his parents’ house that includes special equipment, wheelchairs and computers to make things accessible for Walker. “There are a lot of people behind Devon, backing him up,” Tulane receiver Jacob Davis said to ESPN. “We all try to keep him strong-minded, but I don’t think he really needs it. You see his physical therapy videos and it almost brings a tear to your eyes. He’s always in good spirits and making jokes about being in a wheelchair.”
SCOUTING THE GREEN WAVE: There was a quarterback competition during summer camp between Devin Powell and Nick Montana that Montana ultimately won. Montana, son of legendary Hall of Fame quarterback Joe, has been solid so far, throwing for 702 yards and seven touchdowns to just two interceptions. Running back Orleans Darkwa came into the season with 2090 yards and 27 touchdowns, and in his senior season, he’s already carried the ball 43 times this season for 150 yards and three touchdowns.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 7-1 all-time against Tulane. The last time these two teams met was in the 2011 season, and the Orange won 37-34 as Ross Krautman kicked a 21-yard field goal as the clock expired. RB Antwon Bailey led the way, rushing for 111 yards and a touchdown.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: MSG/YES.
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Malachi Richardson among top talent in 8Eye Classic - October 24, 2014
- Philadephia 76ers forward Jerami Grant: I miss ‘everything’ about Syracuse - October 24, 2014
- NCAA investigating Syracuse men’s basketball, football programs - October 24, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 - October 18, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Large group of recruits to attend Orange Madness - October 17, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 wing VJ King taking time with recruitment - October 16, 2014
- SNY.tv Syracuse podcast: Can football make a bowl; Previewing 2014-15 hoops - October 15, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ at SU - October 14, 2014