Syracuse will finish its non-conference schedule against Tulane on Saturday:
DEVON’S DEN: The Tulane community has rallied around former safety Devon Walker, who was paralyzed after a helmet-to-helmet collision with teammate Julius Warmsley during a Sept. 8, 2013 game against Tulsa. Despite the life-threatening injury and being confined to a wheelchair, Walker has remained positive, and continues to work toward his molecular biology degree. The school has been selling t-shirts and wristbands to support “Devon’s Den,” an 800-square-foot addition to his parents’ house that includes special equipment, wheelchairs and computers to make things accessible for Walker. “There are a lot of people behind Devon, backing him up,” Tulane receiver Jacob Davis said to ESPN. “We all try to keep him strong-minded, but I don’t think he really needs it. You see his physical therapy videos and it almost brings a tear to your eyes. He’s always in good spirits and making jokes about being in a wheelchair.”
SCOUTING THE GREEN WAVE: There was a quarterback competition during summer camp between Devin Powell and Nick Montana that Montana ultimately won. Montana, son of legendary Hall of Fame quarterback Joe, has been solid so far, throwing for 702 yards and seven touchdowns to just two interceptions. Running back Orleans Darkwa came into the season with 2090 yards and 27 touchdowns, and in his senior season, he’s already carried the ball 43 times this season for 150 yards and three touchdowns.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 7-1 all-time against Tulane. The last time these two teams met was in the 2011 season, and the Orange won 37-34 as Ross Krautman kicked a 21-yard field goal as the clock expired. RB Antwon Bailey led the way, rushing for 111 yards and a touchdown.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: MSG/YES.
- Zaire Franklin — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - July 18, 2017
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 17, 2017
- NC State Wolfpack — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - July 10, 2017
- Ryan Blackwell on Boeheim’s Army, Mike Hopkins leaving, favorite Syracuse moment - July 7, 2017
- LSU Tigers — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2017
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017