Syracuse will finish its non-conference schedule against Tulane on Saturday:
DEVON’S DEN: The Tulane community has rallied around former safety Devon Walker, who was paralyzed after a helmet-to-helmet collision with teammate Julius Warmsley during a Sept. 8, 2013 game against Tulsa. Despite the life-threatening injury and being confined to a wheelchair, Walker has remained positive, and continues to work toward his molecular biology degree. The school has been selling t-shirts and wristbands to support “Devon’s Den,” an 800-square-foot addition to his parents’ house that includes special equipment, wheelchairs and computers to make things accessible for Walker. “There are a lot of people behind Devon, backing him up,” Tulane receiver Jacob Davis said to ESPN. “We all try to keep him strong-minded, but I don’t think he really needs it. You see his physical therapy videos and it almost brings a tear to your eyes. He’s always in good spirits and making jokes about being in a wheelchair.”
SCOUTING THE GREEN WAVE: There was a quarterback competition during summer camp between Devin Powell and Nick Montana that Montana ultimately won. Montana, son of legendary Hall of Fame quarterback Joe, has been solid so far, throwing for 702 yards and seven touchdowns to just two interceptions. Running back Orleans Darkwa came into the season with 2090 yards and 27 touchdowns, and in his senior season, he’s already carried the ball 43 times this season for 150 yards and three touchdowns.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 7-1 all-time against Tulane. The last time these two teams met was in the 2011 season, and the Orange won 37-34 as Ross Krautman kicked a 21-yard field goal as the clock expired. RB Antwon Bailey led the way, rushing for 111 yards and a touchdown.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: MSG/YES.
- ESPN’s McMenamin breaks down former Syracuse basketball stars’ NBA chances - July 2, 2015
- Coach says 2017 Syracuse commit Daewood Davis will ‘stretch the field’ — Cuse Clicks - July 1, 2015
- South Florida Bulls — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 1, 2015
- Syracuse picks up first 2017 commit with Daewood Davis — Cuse Clicks - June 30, 2015
- Tyus Battle likes Syracuse ‘a lot’ after his official visit — Cuse Clicks - June 29, 2015
- Syracuse target Christian Colon commits to Penn State — Cuse Clicks - June 26, 2015
- Rakeem Christmas credits Syracuse, Jim Boeheim after being drafted - June 26, 2015
- Chris McCullough predicts November return to Brooklyn Nets - June 26, 2015
- Former Syracuse center Rakeem Christmas lands with Cleveland Cavaliers - June 25, 2015
- Former Syracuse forward Chris McCullough drafted by Brooklyn Nets - June 25, 2015