Different conferences. Same rivalry.
Syracuse and Georgetown announced that the two schools would renew their rivalry in a home-and-home series beginning in the 2015-16 season. The agreement will go for four years, the schools announced Tuesday morning.
Syracuse will travel to Washington, DC in the the 2015-16 and 2017-18 seasons, while the Hoyas will play in the Carrier Dome in the 2016-17 and 2018-19 seasons. No specific dates have been set.
“In the early days of the Big East Conference, the Syracuse-Georgetown matchup quickly developed into one of college basketball’s best rivalries,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said in a release. “The games in that series have been played at a remarkably high level over the years. We’re looking forward to the challenge of playing Georgetown again.”
Syracuse and Georgetown have played each other 90 times, with the Orange holding a 49-41 advantage. The Orange won the most recent matchup 58-55 in the 2013 Big East Tournament.
The two schools were founding members of the Big East Conference in the 1979-80 season. The Orange left for the ACC in the 2013-14 season, while Georgetown joined a new basketball-only conference of the same name.
“Continuing this historically important rivalry has always been of the highest priority for us since our move to the ACC, and something I know our players, coaches, fans and the entire SU community are excited about,” Syracuse Director of Athletics Daryl Gross said in a release. “When Syracuse and Georgetown go head-to-head – the intensity is unmatched – and the entire nation pays attention. Clearly our move to the ACC has been tremendous on all fronts, but sometimes you can have the best of both worlds – and this series fits that concept.”
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016