A quick take on Syracuse’s 49-44 win over Miami the Orange’s inaugural ACC game:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse shook off a poor offensive afternoon and used a late 8-0 run to take a 43-40 lead with 3:24 left after Miami had led by as many as six. Credit also went to the Orange defense, which held Miami to just two field goals in the final six minutes.
ANALYSIS: Understatement of 2014: This wasn’t Syracuse’s best offensive game. The Orange left the faithful in the Carrier Dome standing deep into the second half, missing its first 11 shots. By the time CJ Fair connected on the Orange’s first field goal of the second half, 9:44 had elapsed and SU was down 35-29. In contrast, a lucky fan plucked from the crowd was able to sink a shot while sitting in a recliner during a promotion. SU ended up shooting 36 percent from the field and 3-15 from 3-point land. But Syracuse’s defense clamped down in the final five minutes, an impetus to an 8-0 run, and the Orange was able to escape. No Miami player ended in double digits, and after a hot start from downtown, Miami finished just 7-19 from distance.
HERO: CJ Fair started quickly and led all scorers with 15 points. Rakeem Christmas, not exactly known for his offensive game, hit two key baskets to spark the late run, and finished with 8 points and 7 rebounds.
ZERO: Shooters can’t always be hot. And Trevor Cooney was not. He was just 2-12 from downtown, after coming in shooting better than 50 percent on the season.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse travels to Virginia Tech to play the Hokies on Tuesday, Jan. 7 at 9 p.m. TV: ACC Network.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017