Syracuse is aiming for its fourth win of the season with it heads down to Atlanta to face Georgia Tech:
BOWL STREAK IN JEOPARDY: When Georgia Tech hosts Syracuse on Saturday, it is as close to a ‘must-win’ situation as it will get for the Jackets. Georgia Tech has made a bowl game each year since the 1997 season, and a loss to the Orange would put that streak in serious jeopardy. After starting the season 3-0, the Jackets have lost three straight and will need four wins to become bowl eligible. The Jackets cannot become bowl eligible with a 6-6 season because they play two FCS teams (Elon and Alabama A&M), and only one counts toward eligibility. And Georgia Tech still has to travel to play BCS title contender Clemson and also hosts Georgia at home. That means besides Syracuse, Georgia Tech must defeat Virginia and Pittsburgh to make the college football postseason.
SCOUTING THE YELLOW JACKETS: Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson runs a heavy run-based option offense that he refers to as a “spread option.” It has allowed the Jackets to rank 6th in the NCAA in rushing at 290.3 yards per game. Expect to see a lot of David Sims, who has powered the offense to 353 yards and a team-high six touchdowns. In past years, Tech has dared opposing teams to stack the box to stop the run, then unleash its air game upon unsuspecting safeties. But the Yellow Jackets have struggled through the air this season, as sophomore Vad Lee has completed just 42.7 percent of his passes and has thrown 7 touchdowns to 5 interceptions, potentially hurting his future stock in the eyes of NFL scouts.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 0-2 all-time against the Yellow Jackets. The last time these two teams played was in the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. Syracuse lost 51-14 in what was Paul Pasqualoni’s final game as head coach of Syracuse.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Oct. 19 at 12:30 p.m. in Atlanta, Georgia. TV: ACC Network.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017