Syracuse is aiming for its fourth win of the season with it heads down to Atlanta to face Georgia Tech:
BOWL STREAK IN JEOPARDY: When Georgia Tech hosts Syracuse on Saturday, it is as close to a ‘must-win’ situation as it will get for the Jackets. Georgia Tech has made a bowl game each year since the 1997 season, and a loss to the Orange would put that streak in serious jeopardy. After starting the season 3-0, the Jackets have lost three straight and will need four wins to become bowl eligible. The Jackets cannot become bowl eligible with a 6-6 season because they play two FCS teams (Elon and Alabama A&M), and only one counts toward eligibility. And Georgia Tech still has to travel to play BCS title contender Clemson and also hosts Georgia at home. That means besides Syracuse, Georgia Tech must defeat Virginia and Pittsburgh to make the college football postseason.
SCOUTING THE YELLOW JACKETS: Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson runs a heavy run-based option offense that he refers to as a “spread option.” It has allowed the Jackets to rank 6th in the NCAA in rushing at 290.3 yards per game. Expect to see a lot of David Sims, who has powered the offense to 353 yards and a team-high six touchdowns. In past years, Tech has dared opposing teams to stack the box to stop the run, then unleash its air game upon unsuspecting safeties. But the Yellow Jackets have struggled through the air this season, as sophomore Vad Lee has completed just 42.7 percent of his passes and has thrown 7 touchdowns to 5 interceptions, potentially hurting his future stock in the eyes of NFL scouts.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 0-2 all-time against the Yellow Jackets. The last time these two teams played was in the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. Syracuse lost 51-14 in what was Paul Pasqualoni’s final game as head coach of Syracuse.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Oct. 19 at 12:30 p.m. in Atlanta, Georgia. TV: ACC Network.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016