Syracuse will play its home opener against FCS Wagner on Saturday:
QUESTIONABLE CALL: Division II Merrimack notched the biggest win of its 17-year football history last week, defeating FCS Wagner 42-41. Thrilling didn’t even begin to describe the game, as the two teams combined for 851 total yards. But it was a curious decision from Seahawks head coach Walt Hameline that may have cost Wagner the game. With 5:06 left, Wagner took a 40-35 lead on a touchdown, and the situation seemed to call for a 2-point attempt. But Hameline opted for a PAT and Merrimack responded immediately with a touchdown for the game’s final margin.
SCOUTING THE SEAHAWKS: Fifth-year senior running back Dominique Williams entered the season with 3,308 rushing yards, good for fourth in school history. He was NEC Offensive Player of the Week after racking up 162 yards and a pair of a touchdowns in a week one 28-21 win over Georgetown. He leads the team with 285 yards this year. Junior QB Matt Misley is in his first season as a starter in the Seahawks’ read offense. He rushed for 98 yards and threw for 174 yards and a touchdown against Merrimack.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse and Wagner have never met before, and it will be SU’s first game against a member of the Northeast Conference.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013 at 4 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN3.
- NCAA Appeals Committee restores four scholarships to Syracuse basketball - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson likes Syracuse, picks up NC State offer - November 25, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: How does Shafer firing affect Syracuse recruits? - November 24, 2015
- Syracuse fires football coach Scott Shafer - November 23, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse one of two recruiting Taurean Thompson hardest - November 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Elon 55 - November 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 29, NC State 42 - November 21, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Judge Culpepper, brother of Rex, picks up Syracuse offer - November 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Tyus Battle calls Syracuse signing ’emotional’ - November 19, 2015
- 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul describes ‘great’ visit to Syracuse - November 19, 2015