Syracuse will play its home opener against FCS Wagner on Saturday:
QUESTIONABLE CALL: Division II Merrimack notched the biggest win of its 17-year football history last week, defeating FCS Wagner 42-41. Thrilling didn’t even begin to describe the game, as the two teams combined for 851 total yards. But it was a curious decision from Seahawks head coach Walt Hameline that may have cost Wagner the game. With 5:06 left, Wagner took a 40-35 lead on a touchdown, and the situation seemed to call for a 2-point attempt. But Hameline opted for a PAT and Merrimack responded immediately with a touchdown for the game’s final margin.
SCOUTING THE SEAHAWKS: Fifth-year senior running back Dominique Williams entered the season with 3,308 rushing yards, good for fourth in school history. He was NEC Offensive Player of the Week after racking up 162 yards and a pair of a touchdowns in a week one 28-21 win over Georgetown. He leads the team with 285 yards this year. Junior QB Matt Misley is in his first season as a starter in the Seahawks’ read offense. He rushed for 98 yards and threw for 174 yards and a touchdown against Merrimack.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse and Wagner have never met before, and it will be SU’s first game against a member of the Northeast Conference.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013 at 4 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN3.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Georgetown 78 - December 17, 2016