Syracuse will play its home opener against FCS Wagner on Saturday:
QUESTIONABLE CALL: Division II Merrimack notched the biggest win of its 17-year football history last week, defeating FCS Wagner 42-41. Thrilling didn’t even begin to describe the game, as the two teams combined for 851 total yards. But it was a curious decision from Seahawks head coach Walt Hameline that may have cost Wagner the game. With 5:06 left, Wagner took a 40-35 lead on a touchdown, and the situation seemed to call for a 2-point attempt. But Hameline opted for a PAT and Merrimack responded immediately with a touchdown for the game’s final margin.
SCOUTING THE SEAHAWKS: Fifth-year senior running back Dominique Williams entered the season with 3,308 rushing yards, good for fourth in school history. He was NEC Offensive Player of the Week after racking up 162 yards and a pair of a touchdowns in a week one 28-21 win over Georgetown. He leads the team with 285 yards this year. Junior QB Matt Misley is in his first season as a starter in the Seahawks’ read offense. He rushed for 98 yards and threw for 174 yards and a touchdown against Merrimack.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse and Wagner have never met before, and it will be SU’s first game against a member of the Northeast Conference.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013 at 4 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN3.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016