The Orange will face three teams who are ranked in the preseason AP poll, including a pair in ACC play, and two other teams that received votes over the course of the season. Clemson, who starts the season at #8 in the AP poll, comes to the Carrier Dome to welcome the Orange to the ACC. Tajh Boyd, a dark horse Heisman candidate, will lead the Tigers into that game. Florida State is close behind the Tigers, being listed at #11 to start the season.
While they have not been to Tallahassee in almost a decade, the trip has been a historically tough one for the Orange, as they have lost their last five matchups with the Seminoles. Georgia Tech is the third ACC team on Syracuse’s schedule who earned votes in the poll. Three other teams in the conference slate also accrued votes in the opening poll, but are not on Syracuse’s slate.
Rather than Penn State, Northwestern is the third ranked team the Orange will face. The Wildcats, who eked out a 42-41 win in the Carrier Dome last season, start the season ranked 22nd in the nation after last season’s 10-3 mark and being voted the 17th best team in the final AP poll. Penn State did earn a couple votes prior to the season and will be a stiff test for the beginning of the Scott Shafer era.
The Orange should finish September no worse than 2-2, as the games with Wagner and Tulane are matchups the Orange should win. The ACC, however, could feature some tough slogging for SU. The Orange were voted sixth of seven teams in the Atlantic Division of the preseason ACC poll and they will face five teams that went to bowls last season in conference play. It will be a tough task for the Orange to play in a bowl game in consecutive seasons for the first time since the 1998-1999 seasons.
SCHEDULE (all times EST, time and TV coverage subject to change):
|Sat, Aug 31||Penn State||3:30 pm|
|Sat, Sep 7||at (22) Northwestern||6:00 pm|
|Sat, Sep 14||Wagner||4:00 pm|
|Sat, Sep 21||Tulane||TBA|
|Sat, Oct 5||(8) Clemson||TBA|
|Sat, Oct 12||at North Carolina State||TBA|
|Sat, Oct 19||at Georgia Tech||TBA|
|Sat, Nov 2||Wake Forest||TBA|
|Sat, Nov 9||at Maryland||TBA|
|Sat, Nov 16||at (11) Florida State||TBA|
|Sat, Nov 23||Pittsburgh||TBA|
|Sat, Nov 30||Boston College||TBA|
- Syracuse blows lead but holds off Connecticut to move to .500 - September 25, 2016
- Syracuse football’s lead collapses against USF with thump - September 18, 2016
- Syracuse football’s flaws exposed in 62-28 rout by Louisville - September 10, 2016
- Syracuse football’s new uptempo offense runs Colgate ragged - September 3, 2016
- Overall Outlook and Prediction — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - September 2, 2016
- Schedule Analysis — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - September 1, 2016
- Special Teams — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 31, 2016
- Defense — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 30, 2016
- Offense — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 29, 2016
- Boeheim’s Army advances with 86-82 win over North Broad Street Bullies - July 18, 2016