Otto’s Army’s mission has always been to unite students for one common purpose—support for Orange athletics. Otto’s Army brings students to games, not just in the Carrier Dome, but all around campus.
But there’s another aspect to Otto’s Army that not many know about. The organization is a big supporter of the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, which seeks to provide support for eliminating cancer through research and advocacy.
The Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation was created to help kids in need in the Central New York area and to raise money for cancer research, a topic very close to coach Boeheim’s heart as he once battled the illness.
For the past couple of years, Otto’s Army has made an effort to donate money to the cause so important to the Boeheim family. This year, during the Long Beach State basketball game, we were able to donate $1,000 to the cause.
We raised the money at a flag football tournament held at the beginning of the year. The tournament started last year and didn’t command the attention we had hoped. This year, we were overwhelmed by the support we got, with more than 30 teams signed up.
We will continue to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation in the coming months. We will hold a 3-on-3 basketball tournament in the spring and then another football tournament in the fall with the hope that our donation can be even larger next season.
Visit the official Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation site to make a donation.
- Syracuse WR Brisly Estime has career day in win over Wake Forest - November 3, 2013
- Syracuse 0, Georgia Tech 56 — What we learned - October 21, 2013
- Syracuse 24, NC State 10 — What we learned - October 14, 2013
- Syracuse 14, Clemson 49 — What we learned - October 7, 2013
- Syracuse 52, Tulane 17 — What we learned - September 23, 2013
- Syracuse 54, Wagner 0 — What we learned - September 16, 2013
- Syracuse 27, Northwestern 48 — What we learned - September 9, 2013
- Syracuse 17, Penn State 23 — What we learned - September 2, 2013
- No. 1 Ernie Davis — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 16, 2013
- No. 2 Jim Brown — Counting down the Top 5 Syracuse running backs - May 9, 2013