Kris Joseph wasn’t about to let it happen again.
One game after going scoreless, Joseph rebounded with a team-high 22 points as Syracuse rolled past DePaul 87-68 to improve to 15-0. He was one of five different Orange in double figures.
“I’m happy we got the W,” Joseph said to reporters following the game. “I’m here to win basketball games. I’m not about individual accolades. I never was.”
Maybe so, but for the Orange to continue to win basketball games, it will likely need Joseph to continue to put up gaudy offensive numbers.
One game ago against Seton Hall, the senior was just 0-for-6 from the field for zero points.
It only took Joseph two minutes and 33 seconds to collect his first point of the game, a layup that tied the game at seven.
It was a common theme throughout the afternoon for Joseph, who feasted off scores around the basket. Joseph was the beneficiary of several of the 18 turnovers the Blue Demons committed.
“When he gets the ball in the open court, that’s when he’s at his best,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said.
DePaul also went to a full court press for much of the afternoon. At times, it worked, as the Orange turned the ball over 16 times.
But when it didn’t work?
“I found myself in a lot of 2-on-1 situations and 1-on-1 situations and I just took advantage of them,” Joseph said.
The forward also added seven rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block.
But, clearly, the season-high 22 points was the most welcome sign from Joseph.
“He responded in a big way,” Dion Waiters said. “I’m happy he bounced back the way he did.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017