With the season-ending injury to sophomore Prince-Tyson Gulley earlier in the year, the Orange is using a runningback by committee when senior Antwon Bailey needs a rest.
Jerome Smith, Adonis Ameen-Moore and Steve Rene have all seen playing time, with Ameen-Moore and Smith combining for 14 carries and 53 yards in Syracuse’s 49-23 win over West Virginia on Friday. While Rene didn’t record a carry against the Mountaineers, he was active against Tulane, with four carries for eight yards, and a catch for four yards.
“We will continue with our rotation, and we’re happy with the roles and the development of how the players are coming along,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said during his press conference on Monday. “It’s tough to manage four in that position, because they’re all involved in the game plan, and the way the game goes dictates how many snaps they get.”
Recently, the game has been going very well.
In the past two games, the Orange has scored 86 points. While the Orange struggled to get a grasp of their blocking schemes earlier in the season, SU has seen dramatic improvement across the board.
“It’s really everyone,” Marrone said. “It’s really a lot of people involved with the tight ends and the fullbacks and obviously the way the backs are running because they’re doing a much better job running north and south now.”
That will create more opportunities for everyone, and that’s never a bad thing.
Said Marrone: “The more competition you have, the better chance of have of players rising to the occasion.”
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014
- Roselle Catholic’s Isaiah Briscoe commits to Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 14, 2014