With the season-ending injury to sophomore Prince-Tyson Gulley earlier in the year, the Orange is using a runningback by committee when senior Antwon Bailey needs a rest.
Jerome Smith, Adonis Ameen-Moore and Steve Rene have all seen playing time, with Ameen-Moore and Smith combining for 14 carries and 53 yards in Syracuse’s 49-23 win over West Virginia on Friday. While Rene didn’t record a carry against the Mountaineers, he was active against Tulane, with four carries for eight yards, and a catch for four yards.
“We will continue with our rotation, and we’re happy with the roles and the development of how the players are coming along,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said during his press conference on Monday. “It’s tough to manage four in that position, because they’re all involved in the game plan, and the way the game goes dictates how many snaps they get.”
Recently, the game has been going very well.
In the past two games, the Orange has scored 86 points. While the Orange struggled to get a grasp of their blocking schemes earlier in the season, SU has seen dramatic improvement across the board.
“It’s really everyone,” Marrone said. “It’s really a lot of people involved with the tight ends and the fullbacks and obviously the way the backs are running because they’re doing a much better job running north and south now.”
That will create more opportunities for everyone, and that’s never a bad thing.
Said Marrone: “The more competition you have, the better chance of have of players rising to the occasion.”
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Eric Coley, Allen Stritzinger, Cameron Jordan, Dakota Davis to Syracuse - June 27, 2016
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 WR Nykein Johnson - June 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2017 WR Nykeim Johnson - June 21, 2016