A quick take on Syracuse’s heartbreaking 27-24 loss to Florida State on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: With Syracuse at the FSU 25-yard line and time for one final play, Cole Murphy’s 43-yard field goal attempt missed wide left, and the Orange squandered a golden opportunity to topple the Seminoles on the road. The Orange was down 27-17 with just over six minutes left in the game, but scored scored at touchdown with 2:55 left as Eric Dungey rushed in from three yards out to cap a 14-play, 75 yard drive to make the game close.
ANALYSIS: This one hurts. Syracuse left points on the board in this game that came back to hurt them at the end. Earlier in the game, Murphy had a 48-yard attempt blocked that took three points off the board. At the end of the first half, a muffed punt at the FSU 11 should’ve given SU some points heading into intermission. But the Orange couldn’t convert on 4th down at the doorstep, and missed out on points again. The loss dropped the Orange to 4-5 on the season, with a razor thin margin in its last three games to become bowl eligible for the first time in four seasons.
HERO: Cam Akers rushed 22 times for 199 yards and a pair of scores, including a long of 63 yards. Eric Dungey, despite missing much of the first half with an apparent ankle injury, toughed out a 278 yard passing day for two scores, and another 22 rushes for 109 yards and a TD on the ground.
ZERO: There was some poor officiating on the field today, specifically on the play that sprung Akers for his 63-yard scamper. On that play, the officials missed what appeared to be a fairly obvious hold. On another key fourth-and-1 in the second half, the officials again missed a call, this time on what appeared to be a neutral zone infraction.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home to face Wake Forest on Saturday, Nov. 11.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017