Nick Mariano, Jordan Evans and Nate Solomon each recorded a hat trick, and Syracuse scored 10 straight goals to rout Cornell 15-8 at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday evening.
Cornell had an early 4-3 lead with about four minutes left in the first quarter, but the Orange tied the game 90 seconds later with a Brendan Bomberry goal on a man-up opportunity. That opened the floodgates for SU, and by the time Stephen Rehfuss scored on an unassisted goal with 8:21 left in the third quarter to cap the run, Syracuse had taken an unassailable 12-4 lead.
The win also returned faceoff specialist Ben Williams to elite form. Williams had struggled in faceoffs against Notre Dame (10-23) and Duke (4-18), but he had no such trouble against the Big Red, winning 19 of 25 opportunities.
Syracuse has now rattled off seven straight wins, and the margin of victory is growing. After the Orange had played in seven straight one-goal games, winning six of them, SU has enjoyed a six and seven goal margin in its last two contests.
Syracuse also dominated the box score, outshooting Cornell 47-34, with a 27-17 advantage in shots on goal.
Nate Solomon led Cornell, which dropped to 3-7 on the season, with three goals.
Syracuse travels to Chapel Hill this Saturday to face North Carolina for a 4 p.m. start. It will be televised on ESPNU.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017