Nick Mariano, Jordan Evans and Nate Solomon each recorded a hat trick, and Syracuse scored 10 straight goals to rout Cornell 15-8 at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday evening.
Cornell had an early 4-3 lead with about four minutes left in the first quarter, but the Orange tied the game 90 seconds later with a Brendan Bomberry goal on a man-up opportunity. That opened the floodgates for SU, and by the time Stephen Rehfuss scored on an unassisted goal with 8:21 left in the third quarter to cap the run, Syracuse had taken an unassailable 12-4 lead.
The win also returned faceoff specialist Ben Williams to elite form. Williams had struggled in faceoffs against Notre Dame (10-23) and Duke (4-18), but he had no such trouble against the Big Red, winning 19 of 25 opportunities.
Syracuse has now rattled off seven straight wins, and the margin of victory is growing. After the Orange had played in seven straight one-goal games, winning six of them, SU has enjoyed a six and seven goal margin in its last two contests.
Syracuse also dominated the box score, outshooting Cornell 47-34, with a 27-17 advantage in shots on goal.
Nate Solomon led Cornell, which dropped to 3-7 on the season, with three goals.
Syracuse travels to Chapel Hill this Saturday to face North Carolina for a 4 p.m. start. It will be televised on ESPNU.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017