A quick take on Syracuse’s 88-68 blowout loss to Louisville on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse took a 17-13 lead with 10:11 left in the first half after a Tyus Battle 3-pointer, Louisville tightened its defense and took a commanding 41-25 lead into intermission. An Andrew White layup with 9:08 left in the second half cut the lead to 61-50, but that is the closest Syracuse would get.
ANALYSIS: While Syracuse may have kept pace with Louisville at the Carrier Dome, the Cardinals completely took it to the Orange on their home turf. Louisville stymied Syracuse all afternoon, holding the Orange to 35.2 percent shooting from the field and 7 for 28 shooting from beyond the arc. Syracuse also committed an uncharacteristic 16 turnovers and was -10 on the boards. It appears that Syracuse will still need at least one more win to push itself into the NCAA Tournament, with one regular season game left at home against Georgia Tech, and then the ACC Tournament.
HERO: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
ZERO: Andrew White was held scoreless until midway through the second half and finished with 7 points on 1-8 shooting from the field. Tyler Lydon was also cold from downtown, shooting 1-6 from distance.
WHAT’S NEXT: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017