A quick take on Syracuse’s 88-68 blowout loss to Louisville on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse took a 17-13 lead with 10:11 left in the first half after a Tyus Battle 3-pointer, Louisville tightened its defense and took a commanding 41-25 lead into intermission. An Andrew White layup with 9:08 left in the second half cut the lead to 61-50, but that is the closest Syracuse would get.
ANALYSIS: While Syracuse may have kept pace with Louisville at the Carrier Dome, the Cardinals completely took it to the Orange on their home turf. Louisville stymied Syracuse all afternoon, holding the Orange to 35.2 percent shooting from the field and 7 for 28 shooting from beyond the arc. Syracuse also committed an uncharacteristic 16 turnovers and was -10 on the boards. It appears that Syracuse will still need at least one more win to push itself into the NCAA Tournament, with one regular season game left at home against Georgia Tech, and then the ACC Tournament.
HERO: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
ZERO: Andrew White was held scoreless until midway through the second half and finished with 7 points on 1-8 shooting from the field. Tyler Lydon was also cold from downtown, shooting 1-6 from distance.
WHAT’S NEXT: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017