A quick take on Syracuse’s 88-68 blowout loss to Louisville on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse took a 17-13 lead with 10:11 left in the first half after a Tyus Battle 3-pointer, Louisville tightened its defense and took a commanding 41-25 lead into intermission. An Andrew White layup with 9:08 left in the second half cut the lead to 61-50, but that is the closest Syracuse would get.
ANALYSIS: While Syracuse may have kept pace with Louisville at the Carrier Dome, the Cardinals completely took it to the Orange on their home turf. Louisville stymied Syracuse all afternoon, holding the Orange to 35.2 percent shooting from the field and 7 for 28 shooting from beyond the arc. Syracuse also committed an uncharacteristic 16 turnovers and was -10 on the boards. It appears that Syracuse will still need at least one more win to push itself into the NCAA Tournament, with one regular season game left at home against Georgia Tech, and then the ACC Tournament.
HERO: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
ZERO: Andrew White was held scoreless until midway through the second half and finished with 7 points on 1-8 shooting from the field. Tyler Lydon was also cold from downtown, shooting 1-6 from distance.
WHAT’S NEXT: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017