A quick take on Syracuse’s 88-68 blowout loss to Louisville on Sunday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse took a 17-13 lead with 10:11 left in the first half after a Tyus Battle 3-pointer, Louisville tightened its defense and took a commanding 41-25 lead into intermission. An Andrew White layup with 9:08 left in the second half cut the lead to 61-50, but that is the closest Syracuse would get.
ANALYSIS: While Syracuse may have kept pace with Louisville at the Carrier Dome, the Cardinals completely took it to the Orange on their home turf. Louisville stymied Syracuse all afternoon, holding the Orange to 35.2 percent shooting from the field and 7 for 28 shooting from beyond the arc. Syracuse also committed an uncharacteristic 16 turnovers and was -10 on the boards. It appears that Syracuse will still need at least one more win to push itself into the NCAA Tournament, with one regular season game left at home against Georgia Tech, and then the ACC Tournament.
HERO: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
ZERO: Andrew White was held scoreless until midway through the second half and finished with 7 points on 1-8 shooting from the field. Tyler Lydon was also cold from downtown, shooting 1-6 from distance.
WHAT’S NEXT: Donovan Mitchell had several highlight dunks en route to 25 points on 6-10 shooting from downtown. Tyus Battle finished with 20.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017