Syracuse will try to end a two-game losing streak when it heads to Connecticut to play the Huskies on Saturday. Here is a quick look at the game:
CLOSE MARGINS: Connecticut may be currently 2-1, but it’s been the kind of season where the Huskies could easily be 3-0, or 0-3. In its opener against Maine, Bobby Puyol’s 37-yard field goal with 11 seconds left was the final margin in a 24-21 win. Then, in week two, the Huskies were stopped on the 1-yard line as time expired in a 28-24 loss to Navy. Head coach Bob Diaco caught plenty of heat for that loss, calling a run play for Ron Johnson with 17 seconds and no timeouts left. Last week, the Huskies edged Virginia, 13-10, as walk-on kicker Alex Furbank missed a 20-yard field goal as time expired. Add it all together, and the margin of victory in all three games have been a combined 10 points.
SCOUTING THE HUSKIES: The numbers aren’t pretty for the Huskies on offense. UConn is averaging just 20.3 points per game, 108th in the FBS, and is 111th in total offense at 331 yards. Despite the anemic production, wide receiver Noel Thomas has been an offensive bright spot. He’s averaged 8.6 receptions per game and 92.3 receiving yards through three games. But Diaco has made a living on a ball control offense and a stout defense. This year is no exception with a defense that is allowing just 19.7 points per game and just 351.7 yards of total offense per game. Redshirt senior defensive back Obi Melifonwu leads the team with 25 tackles (19 solo).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Huskies own a 6-3 all-time record with Syracuse, with the Orange losing five straight matchups with UConn as members of the Big East from 2007 to 2011. Syracuse defeated UConn in 2012, 40-10, the last time the two teams met.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016 at 1 p.m. in East Hartford, Conn. TV: CBS Sports Network.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017