Chad Cohan’s goal with 3:07 left in overtime propelled Duke to a 16-15 overtime win on Saturday, the Orange’s second straight loss.
Syracuse lost in similar fashion last week to Johns Hopkins, blowing a fourth quarter lead and losing in overtime. On Saturday, the Orange was up 14-10 heading in to the final period, but the Blue Devils scored five unanswered goals, the last coming from Deemer Class to give Duke a 15-14 lead with 6:28 left.
Class went berserk during that run, scoring three of the goals and assisting on another. He finished with a career-high seven goals.
Syracuse would finally stop the run after Derek Dejoe scored with 3:29 left on an assist from Sergio Salcido. Goalie Warren Hill made a key save with under two minutes left, giving the Orange an opportunity to win in regulation. But coming out of a timeout with 11 seconds left, the Orange turned the ball over as regulation ended.
The loss spoiled a dominant first half performance from the Orange. Salcido scored three of his four goals before intermission, and Tim Barber’s hat trick was also accomplished in that same time.
It was a rare off day for Ben William, who was just 12-28 at the X. He was spelled by Cal Paduda (3-6) at one point. Kyle Rowe went 18-32, as Duke won five of seven faceoffs in the pivotal fourth quarter.
The Orange returns home to play Notre Dame on Saturday, April 2 at 5 p.m., and it will be televised on ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017