WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse saw its 15 point halftime lead sliced in half, with Boston College pulling to within 35-28 with 14:54 left on the strength of a 9-0 run. But SU regrouped immediately, going on an 11-0 run capped by a Trevor Cooney layup with 8:16 left to return SU’s lead to 46-30 and Boston College never threatened after that.
ANALYSIS: It wasn’t pretty, but Syracuse got the win it so badly needed, halting a four-game losing streak and picking up its first ACC win of the season. The Orange struggled from downtown, hitting just 4 of its 17 attempts. But it more than made up for it by getting inside, shooting over 60 percent from inside the arc. SU also stymied any BC attack, holding the Eagles to 31.9 percent shooting from the field and 6 for 26 shooting from 3-point land while forcing 16 turnovers.
HERO: Tyler Roberson notched a double-double, finishing with 10 points and 12 rebounds, but was saddled with foul trouble and sat for most of the second half. That led to extended minutes for Dajuan Coleman, who logged 26 minutes in his place one game after playing 27 minutes against UNC. Coleman finished with 11 points and five rebounds, playing nearly the entire second half.
ZERO: BC forward Dennis Clifford missed all four of his field goal attempts and also had a game-high five turnovers. The Eagles were also outrebounded by SU, with the Orange holding a +8 margin on the boards.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse travels to play Wake Forest on Saturday for a noon game against the Demon Deacons. TV: ACC Network.
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017