Happy Friday, everyone! Before you settle in for what will likely be a soggy weekend, take a look at this video released by Syracuse showing off the SU campus and promoting the football team. Anyway, we had a very eventful Thursday in the Syracuse recruiting world, so let’s get to it…
St. Thomas Aquinas HS (FL) 2017 OL Zachary Sweeney tweeted on Thursday morning that he had received an offer from Syracuse. According to Scout.com’s Corey Bender, the Orange is the first school to offer Sweeney. Make sure to check out his HUDL highlights.
Another recruit to announce his Syracuse offer on Twitter was 2017 Oxford (Ala.) linebacker KJ Britt. According to Scout.com’s John Garcia Jr., Britt has interest from Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia Tech, but only has one other offer from Jacksonville State so far.
A trio of Chaminade-Madonna (Fla.) teammates, 2017 DE Chris Whittaker, 2018 RB Shaun Shivers, and 2018 DE Davoan Hawkins (HUDL highlights) each picked up an offer from Syracuse. Shivers has offers from Cincinnati, FAU, Syracuse and West Virginia according to Rivals.com. Whittaker’s only other offer is from Bowling Green, says Scout.com.
The Orange also offered Miami commit Tyler Dunning, he said on Twitter. The 2017 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) linebacker pledged to the Hurricanes in February, and also holds offers from Cincinnati, FIU and Florida Atlantic according to 247 Sports.
One last note for football for the week: Former Syracuse recruit Kelvin Harmon committed to South Carolina, writes NJ Advance Media’s Todderick Hunt. Harmon was the No. 2 rated WR in New Jersey, and was also considering Rutgers, NC State, North Carolina, Temple and West Virginia. Harmon had eliminated Syracuse when he released his top six over the summer.
Switching to basketball, 2017 5-star power forward Kevin Knox from Tampa (FL) received an offer from Syracuse earlier in the week. Scout.com’s Ben Sigel caught up with Knox, who said that Syracuse “is a great school.” Knox is keeping his options open, and already has offers from Florida, LSU, Maryland, Memphis, Miami, NC State and Xavier, among others.
2016 Syracuse commit Matt Moyer is as talented in music as he is on the basketball court. Take a look at Moyer’s performance as a first-chair violinist as he performs a piece from Bach. Perhaps his nickname when he gets to the Cuse should be “Renaissance Man.”
We’re getting close to the start of basketball season, and City of Basketball Love’s Josh Verlin does a preview on Neumann-Goretti (Pa.). Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree and Quade Green get plenty of mentions in the article. “I expect him to play at an extremely high level, especially after the summer,” Cosby-Roundtree’s coach says.
2016 big man Taurean Thompson was scheduled to visit SMU this weekend, but has postponed the trip in light of sanctions announced against the program earlier this week, writes Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters. Thompson is being recruited by Syracuse, and has taken an official visit to Xavier. He is also considering Rutgers, Seton Hall, Temple and St. Joseph’s.
That’s all the recruiting news for today. In closing, I wanted to wish former SU star Tyler Ennis a quick recovery from a shoulder injury. Have a great weekend, everyone.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016