To start today on my usual non-recruiting theme, former Syracuse star Rakeem Christmas may have the creepiest crib in sports. Watch the video and decide for yourself if he actually does. On to the recruiting world…
Syracuse will be among a large group of schools to watch elite 2017 big man Mohamed Bamba on Friday, writes SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria. Other high-majors who will be on hand include Kentucky, Indiana, Arizona, Temple, Villanova and Maryland. Scout.com rates the 2017 prospect at No. 4 in his class.
2018 wing Louis King will be transferring from Roselle Catholic (NJ) to Pope John (NJ), reports The Recruit Scoop’s Alex Kline. Syracuse had previously offered King back in April, and he also holds early offers from St. John’s and VCU. King is rated a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was recently ranked the No. 18 recruit in his class.
Staying in the class of 2018, Zagoria also reports that Louisville head coach Rick Pitino will visit Roselle Catholic’s Naz Reid on Friday. Reid was just invited to the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Minicamp from Oct. 2-4 in Colorado Springs. Syracuse extended an offer to Reid in May, and he already holds offers from several high-majors including UConn, Virginia, Villanova and Maryland.
There’s an interesting twist in the Jay Rose saga. He’s set to announce between UConn and Syracuse on Thursday, but Scout.com’s Brian Dohn says that Rose “hasn’t had a lot of contact with Syracuse lately.” While it seems logical for a Power 5 school to win in a recruiting battle like this, Dohn is picking the Huskies.
DePaul (NJ) wide receiver Terrell Vassel wants to select his college by the end of October, writes NorthJersey.com. Vassel has offers from Army, Massachusetts, Old Dominion, Rutgers and Syracuse, but the article states that Vassel is specifically hoping to hear from North Carolina.
I’m going to close on a sad note. On Wednesday, reports surfaced that the New York Daily News gave long-time writer Mike Lupica the pink slip in a cost-cutting measure. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere soon, but it’s tough to see that happen to such a recognized name in the sports writing world. That’s all for today, everyone.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017