To start today on my usual non-recruiting theme, former Syracuse star Rakeem Christmas may have the creepiest crib in sports. Watch the video and decide for yourself if he actually does. On to the recruiting world…
Syracuse will be among a large group of schools to watch elite 2017 big man Mohamed Bamba on Friday, writes SNY.tv’s very own, Adam Zagoria. Other high-majors who will be on hand include Kentucky, Indiana, Arizona, Temple, Villanova and Maryland. Scout.com rates the 2017 prospect at No. 4 in his class.
2018 wing Louis King will be transferring from Roselle Catholic (NJ) to Pope John (NJ), reports The Recruit Scoop’s Alex Kline. Syracuse had previously offered King back in April, and he also holds early offers from St. John’s and VCU. King is rated a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and was recently ranked the No. 18 recruit in his class.
Staying in the class of 2018, Zagoria also reports that Louisville head coach Rick Pitino will visit Roselle Catholic’s Naz Reid on Friday. Reid was just invited to the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Minicamp from Oct. 2-4 in Colorado Springs. Syracuse extended an offer to Reid in May, and he already holds offers from several high-majors including UConn, Virginia, Villanova and Maryland.
There’s an interesting twist in the Jay Rose saga. He’s set to announce between UConn and Syracuse on Thursday, but Scout.com’s Brian Dohn says that Rose “hasn’t had a lot of contact with Syracuse lately.” While it seems logical for a Power 5 school to win in a recruiting battle like this, Dohn is picking the Huskies.
DePaul (NJ) wide receiver Terrell Vassel wants to select his college by the end of October, writes NorthJersey.com. Vassel has offers from Army, Massachusetts, Old Dominion, Rutgers and Syracuse, but the article states that Vassel is specifically hoping to hear from North Carolina.
I’m going to close on a sad note. On Wednesday, reports surfaced that the New York Daily News gave long-time writer Mike Lupica the pink slip in a cost-cutting measure. I’m sure he’ll land somewhere soon, but it’s tough to see that happen to such a recognized name in the sports writing world. That’s all for today, everyone.
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017