As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Wednesday over the summer. SU will finish its 2015 season when they play Boston College on Nov. 28.
PLENTY OF CHANGE: The word ‘new’ should be the mantra of the 2015 BC college season. As in, a new offensive coordinator. A new quarterback. And a completely reloaded offensive line. Former offensive coordinator Ryan Day joined the Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff in the offseason, and his replacement, Todd Fitch, has plenty of work in front of him. The first will be getting sophomore quarterback Darius Wade comfortable. Wade threw just eight passes last year, but figures to be more accurate than his predecessor, Tyler Murphy. But the major talk on Chestnut Hill will be how Fitch will rework the offensive line, with five new starters, only one of which (Harris Williams) with any experience.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES: Steve Addazio has strung together two consecutive bowl seasons based on a punishing, downhill running game, and an equally punishing, ironclad defense. Both of those characteristics will still be a heavy part of this year’s team. The Eagles have plenty of options in the backfield, headlined by Jon Hilliman, who in his freshman year rushed for 860 yards and 13 touchdowns. He will be the lead in a committee that will also include Marcus Outlow and Myles Willis. BC’s goal will still be to approach the 254.7 per game on the ground from last year, which landed the Eagles 14th in the country. But perhaps the best feature of the team will be the Eagles’ front seven, where the Eagles return five starters. This is a unit that finished second in the NCAA last year, holding opponents under 95 rushing yards per game.
PREDICTION: Another bowl season appears to be in the future for BC, which is impressive considering Addazio inherited a 2-10 team when he stepped on campus. The defense should keep them in most games. The question is if the offense can hold its end of the bargain. It probably will against the Orange. BOSTON COLLEGE 17, SYRACUSE 14.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017