Over the summer, The Juice Online is going to highlight individual players on the 2015 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling offensive lineman Ivan Foy.
Ivan Foy has made another change this offseason. This time, though, it’s strictly about football.
In spring of 2014, Foy was suspended by head coach Scott Shafer over academic issues, a low point in his Syracuse career. But since that time, Foy bounced back in the classroom, and was allowed back on the 2014 team.
“He started realizing that, ‘I’m in a role where I need to be a leader,'” Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt said. “He noticed he wasn’t leading the guys the right way and he fixed everything.”
With his academics in order, Foy has now focused on the field.
In 2014, Foy was limited to just six games because of injuries, but Foy is finally healthy and has shed significant weight in the offseason.
He’s also learning a new position, shifting from right to left tackle. In practice, Foy has been matched up against defensive lineman Ron Thompson, which has been a learning curve in and of itself.
“He’s lost some weight and he’s really working on that position with Ron because Ron is one of the fastest guys at that position,” Hunt said. “Going against Ron really helps him a lot.”
Inside slant: Foy is currently listed at 311 pounds, but he’s below 300 pounds at the moment. The weight he’s shed will certainly help him be more effective in protecting Hunt’s blindside in place of the departed Sean Hickey. And, for what it’s worth, it sounds like Foy has Hunt’s confidence. “I know he’s one of those guys that if I get hit, he’ll get down on himself. And I gotta tell him that it’s OK,” Hunt said. “You’re going against a guy 90 snaps, it’s going to happen once. It’s my job to throw hot and get it out of there.”
- Birthdate: March 1992
- Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
- High School: Fort Hamilton
- Position: Offensive Lineman
- Class: Senior
- Height: 6’4″
- Weight: 311 lbs
Career highlights: In 2013, Foy started all 13 games at right tackle and helped pave the way for an SU rushing attack that ranked fourth in the ACC, averaging 194.8 yards per game.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017