Over the summer, The Juice Online is going to highlight individual players on the 2015 Syracuse football team. This week, we’re profiling offensive lineman Ivan Foy.
Ivan Foy has made another change this offseason. This time, though, it’s strictly about football.
In spring of 2014, Foy was suspended by head coach Scott Shafer over academic issues, a low point in his Syracuse career. But since that time, Foy bounced back in the classroom, and was allowed back on the 2014 team.
“He started realizing that, ‘I’m in a role where I need to be a leader,'” Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt said. “He noticed he wasn’t leading the guys the right way and he fixed everything.”
With his academics in order, Foy has now focused on the field.
In 2014, Foy was limited to just six games because of injuries, but Foy is finally healthy and has shed significant weight in the offseason.
He’s also learning a new position, shifting from right to left tackle. In practice, Foy has been matched up against defensive lineman Ron Thompson, which has been a learning curve in and of itself.
“He’s lost some weight and he’s really working on that position with Ron because Ron is one of the fastest guys at that position,” Hunt said. “Going against Ron really helps him a lot.”
Inside slant: Foy is currently listed at 311 pounds, but he’s below 300 pounds at the moment. The weight he’s shed will certainly help him be more effective in protecting Hunt’s blindside in place of the departed Sean Hickey. And, for what it’s worth, it sounds like Foy has Hunt’s confidence. “I know he’s one of those guys that if I get hit, he’ll get down on himself. And I gotta tell him that it’s OK,” Hunt said. “You’re going against a guy 90 snaps, it’s going to happen once. It’s my job to throw hot and get it out of there.”
- Birthdate: March 1992
- Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
- High School: Fort Hamilton
- Position: Offensive Lineman
- Class: Senior
- Height: 6’4″
- Weight: 311 lbs
Career highlights: In 2013, Foy started all 13 games at right tackle and helped pave the way for an SU rushing attack that ranked fourth in the ACC, averaging 194.8 yards per game.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Notre Dame 84 - January 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, St. John’s 93 - December 21, 2016