Syracuse assistant basketball coach Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim following the 2017-18 men’s basketball season, the school announced on Thursday afternoon.
“I’m honored, humbled and grateful for this special opportunity,” Hopkins said in a release issued by the school. “Very few people are afforded the privilege to coach at their alma mater. I want to thank Chancellor [Kent] Syverud, the Board of Trustees and Jim Boeheim for entrusting me with this great program. Coach Boeheim has created one of the most preeminent college basketball programs in the country, one that is committed to a standard of excellence and consistency.”
Boeheim had announced he will retire in three years back in March.
“Mike has truly earned this honor through his hard work, dedication and commitment to our program for more than 20 years,” Boeheim said. “There is no one more ready or prepared to carry on the success of Syracuse basketball than Mike Hopkins.”
Hopkins was a four year player from Syracuse from 1989 to 1993. He joined the coaching staff in 1995 and has been credited with the development of guards Jason Hart, Jonny Flynn, Allen Griffin, Gerry McNamara, Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins. Hopkins has also developed big men Fab Melo and Rakeem Christmas.
“For more than 25 years, Mike Hopkins has demonstrated the true meaning of Orange pride and loyalty,” Syverud said. “He has contributed so much to the success of the Syracuse basketball program. I know Mike is ready to lead the program into the future and carry forward the success that has occurred under Coach Boeheim.”
“During the search process I was fully briefed on all of the athletic programs, including men’s basketball,” Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle said. “I am impressed by the accomplishments of the entire coaching staff and fully support the Chancellor’s decision.”
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forwards Tyler Lydon, Andrew White with NBA scout - June 9, 2017
- Central Connecticut State Blue Devils — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 7, 2017