Syracuse assistant basketball coach Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim following the 2017-18 men’s basketball season, the school announced on Thursday afternoon.
“I’m honored, humbled and grateful for this special opportunity,” Hopkins said in a release issued by the school. “Very few people are afforded the privilege to coach at their alma mater. I want to thank Chancellor [Kent] Syverud, the Board of Trustees and Jim Boeheim for entrusting me with this great program. Coach Boeheim has created one of the most preeminent college basketball programs in the country, one that is committed to a standard of excellence and consistency.”
Boeheim had announced he will retire in three years back in March.
“Mike has truly earned this honor through his hard work, dedication and commitment to our program for more than 20 years,” Boeheim said. “There is no one more ready or prepared to carry on the success of Syracuse basketball than Mike Hopkins.”
Hopkins was a four year player from Syracuse from 1989 to 1993. He joined the coaching staff in 1995 and has been credited with the development of guards Jason Hart, Jonny Flynn, Allen Griffin, Gerry McNamara, Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins. Hopkins has also developed big men Fab Melo and Rakeem Christmas.
“For more than 25 years, Mike Hopkins has demonstrated the true meaning of Orange pride and loyalty,” Syverud said. “He has contributed so much to the success of the Syracuse basketball program. I know Mike is ready to lead the program into the future and carry forward the success that has occurred under Coach Boeheim.”
“During the search process I was fully briefed on all of the athletic programs, including men’s basketball,” Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle said. “I am impressed by the accomplishments of the entire coaching staff and fully support the Chancellor’s decision.”
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Georgia Tech 61 - March 4, 2017