As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Wednesday over the summer. SU will continue its 2015 non-conference schedule when they play LSU on Sept. 26.
QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY OVER: Well, that’s one way to end a quarterback controversy. Originally, the big question at LSU during the spring was who would be lining up under center this fall between Anthony Jennings and Brandon Harris. But Jennings took himself out of that race after being arrested last week, along with two other teammates. According to reports, Jennings was arrested on a felony charge of unauthorized entry of a dwelling. All three were indefinitely suspended by Miles. “This is an on-going investigation and our players will cooperate fully,” LSU head coach Les Miles said in a release.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: They don’t call it “DB U” for nothing. Cornerback Tre’Davious White leads a defense that allowed an SEC best 164.2 yards per game and figures to be one of the deepest and most talented secondaries in the country. White finished with 33 tackles, six pass breakups and two interceptions last season. Joining White in the secondary are a pair of elite safeties, Jalen Mills and 2014 All-SEC Freshman Team selection Jamal Adams. Overall, the defense allowed 17.5 points per game last year, good for fifth in the country.
PREDICTION: If there was one weakness at LSU last year, it was their lack of a passing game, which averaged just 169 yards per game. But the ground game more than made up for it, with 225 yards pre game, 25th overall in the country. While SU may hang around for a bit, don’t expect the Tigers to get upset in Central New York. LSU 27, SYRACUSE 10.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016