Ryan Blake, Senior Director of NBA Scouting Operations, calls in to chat about Syracuse players in the upcoming 2015 NBA Draft with host Wesley Cheng on the Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Editor in Chief Brad Bierman also checks in to talk about Syracuse lacrosse’s disappointing NCAA Tournament.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Ryan, Rakeem Christmas had 20 points and six rebounds in the NBA Combine. What did you think of his effort?
Ryan Blake: I really loved his approach to the combine. He came in in great shape. He played within himself, which is getting rebounds and setting screens, spacing, passing. All of those things that can open the door, or at least get it a little wider to get that opportunity. He’s got size. He’s got length. What I like about him is he’s a great defensive player who blocks shots and gets rebounds. He runs the floor like a gazelle. He’s got an NBA body. Everything about him is improving. IQ and as a playmaker.
WC: Are you among the group of NBA Scouts who thinks that Chris McCullough declared for the NBA Draft too early?
RB: I think a guy who had an ACL injury and only played part of the season, he’s got a lot of ability. But in terms of where you want to get drafted, if that’s your goal, to make an NBA team. You want to get drafted in the first round where there’s guaranteed money. And you can’t work out with any teams because you’re not healthy enough. So when you look at any team that might have a second pick, yeah, they may check him out in the first round. However, he’s likely to go in the second round. Is he going to be able to play in the summer league? Most likely not. So it’s going to be tough to keep a guy on the roster who’s not a first round pick.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. NBA Scout Ryan Blake calls in
3. Rakeem Christmas’ potential
4. Is Christmas a rotational player or a starter?
5. Did Chris McCullough make the wrong decision?
6. Brad Bierman calls in
7. Thoughts from NCAA women’s lax championship weekend
8. Syracuse can’t get over the hump
9. Men’s disappointing NCAA Tournament
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Coleman’s recent uptick could be Syracuse’s best since Christmas - December 7, 2016
- After loss to UConn, Syracuse’s Lydon vows to be more aggressive - December 6, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Connecticut 52 - December 5, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, North Florida 71 - December 3, 2016
- Two early season losses could be bad harbinger for Syracuse basketball - December 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 76 - November 26, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 101, South Carolina State 59 - November 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from Bourama Sidibe - November 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Monmouth 50 - November 18, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Quade Green between Syracuse, Kentucky; Lonnie Walker to Miami - November 17, 2016