College coaches have been making the rounds this spring, and Kurt Gavin’s rapid development has been impressive. He’s up 20 pounds from the fall and this week he picked up five offers from Cincinnati, Nevada, Syracuse, N.C. State and Western Michigan. Prior to this week, Illinois State was the only offer Gavin had, and the only visit he’s taken. “I plan on going down to Nevada, N.C. State and Syracuse pretty soon,” Gavin said.
On Wednesday, Penn State became the latest program to extend a scholarship offer to Wexford (Pa.) North Allegheny offensive tackle Joshua Lugg. The 6-foot-6, 288-pound Lugg camped at Penn State last summer and was at Junior Day on Feb. 28. Lugg is one of the region’s top tackle prospects in the Class of 2017, with early offers from Maryland, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, UCLA, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and others.
Nebraska probably won’t get a commitment from Wayne (New Jersey) DePaul Catholic defender Quayshon Alexander on Monday. The 6-foot-2, 235-pounder — a top 300 athlete according to 247 Sports and ESPN — confirmed to The World-Herald on Friday that he’ll hold off on committing to the Huskers until he takes official visits in the fall. He confirmed again Friday what he’d told The World-Herald on Tuesday: As of now, he plans official visits to Nebraska, Arizona State, Iowa and Pittsburgh.
Patrice Rene is hoping to make his college decision in the next two to three months. But before making his commitment, Rene said he will possibly visit Michigan and Michigan State. Although he’s not ready to name any top schools, Rene said Duke, North Carolina, Ohio State, Rutgers and Virginia Tech are standing out.
Five-star Syracuse target Kobi Simmons still has the Orange on his list of schools, his high school coach told Donna Ditota of The Post-Standard. The 6-foot-5 point guard is ranked No. 7 in the Class of 2016 by Scout.com and No. 2 at his position. Both Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije are expected to graduate after next season, leaving Kaleb Joseph as the only guard with substantial experience on SU’s roster.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017