A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-54 loss to Duke on Saturday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: Duke, already up by nine at half, used a 13-2 run midway through the second half to take a commanding 51-33 lead with 12:12 left. Justice Winslow hit a pair of 3s and Quinn Cook accounted for four points during that run. SU never got the lead to below double digits the rest of the way in one of its most lopsided losses of the season.
ANALYSIS: Round two of the budding Syracuse-Duke rivalry was not nearly as close as round one, an 80-72 home loss for the Orange on Feb. 14. SU never got going offensively, shooting 31 percent collectively and 3-19 from downtown. Syracuse’s “Big 3” of Trevor Cooney, Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije combined to shoot 13-42 from the field, with Christmas limited to six shots by presumptive No. 1 NBA Draft pick Jahlil Okafor.
HERO: Winslow led Duke with 23 points and 10 rebounds, while Okafor notched another double-double against the Orange with 13 points and 14 rebounds. Tyler Roberson was a bright spot for the Orange early, and he finished with 15 points and nine rebounds.
ZERO: Trevor Cooney has now shot below 40 percent in eight of his last nine games and is 4-28 from downtown over his last four games. The starting guard was 1-9 from the field and 1-8 from downtown.
WHAT’S NEXT: Things don’t get easier for the Orange as they host No. 2 Virginia on March 2 at 7 p.m.
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017