A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-54 loss to Duke on Saturday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: Duke, already up by nine at half, used a 13-2 run midway through the second half to take a commanding 51-33 lead with 12:12 left. Justice Winslow hit a pair of 3s and Quinn Cook accounted for four points during that run. SU never got the lead to below double digits the rest of the way in one of its most lopsided losses of the season.
ANALYSIS: Round two of the budding Syracuse-Duke rivalry was not nearly as close as round one, an 80-72 home loss for the Orange on Feb. 14. SU never got going offensively, shooting 31 percent collectively and 3-19 from downtown. Syracuse’s “Big 3” of Trevor Cooney, Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije combined to shoot 13-42 from the field, with Christmas limited to six shots by presumptive No. 1 NBA Draft pick Jahlil Okafor.
HERO: Winslow led Duke with 23 points and 10 rebounds, while Okafor notched another double-double against the Orange with 13 points and 14 rebounds. Tyler Roberson was a bright spot for the Orange early, and he finished with 15 points and nine rebounds.
ZERO: Trevor Cooney has now shot below 40 percent in eight of his last nine games and is 4-28 from downtown over his last four games. The starting guard was 1-9 from the field and 1-8 from downtown.
WHAT’S NEXT: Things don’t get easier for the Orange as they host No. 2 Virginia on March 2 at 7 p.m.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017