Item: If the Orange does not win at least one of the remaining games to be played in this season cut short of tournament play; at No. 8/9 Notre Dame Tuesday evening (8:00 p.m. ET / ACCN), at No. 4/5 Duke Saturday, home in Rakeem Christmas’s final Dome appearance against No. 2 Virginia next Monday night, or at North Carolina State on March 7, it will mark the first five game losing streak during Jim Boeheim’s 39 year career.
Following last Saturday’s tough-to-swallow 65-61 defeat to longtime rival Pittsburgh in the Dome, completing a season sweep for the Panthers in the annual home-and-home set, it set up the possibility that unless the ‘Cuse can post an upset in one of its last four games, as they’re likely to be the underdog in all of the contests, added with the Pitt defeat it will equal a bitter-tasting five consecutive losses to end what’s already a disappointingly shortened season due to the hovering NCAA findings, and it’s a losing streak unheard of under SU’s Hall of Fame coach.
The last time the Orange (17-10, 8-6) was in danger of a five game losing streak was the 2010-11 season. Ranked 17th in the polls after dropping four straight in Big East play, on a wintery February night in Hartford SU stopped No. 6 Connecticut 66-58 (a season in which the Huskies would go on to win an improbable national title with 11 consecutive post-season victories in the Big East and NCAA Tournaments, a feat not likely to be accomplished again), to make it a happy scene inside the postgame SU locker room.
In fact, talk about consistency, Syracuse has had only three other four game losing streaks during Coach Boeheim’s entire tenure, occurring in 1991-92, 2001-02, and 2005-06, each ended with a victory before the streak could reach five. This season’s record of double digit defeats during the regular season for the first time since 2008, and now facing a tough last stretch of an ACC schedule comprising of three Top 9 teams, means the Orange will have its work cut out to somehow snare at least one win between now and March 7.
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Only victories will earn respect for Syracuse football - July 19, 2017
- Orange Watch: Questions abound for Syracuse heading into ACC Football Kickoff event - July 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse finishes ironic 44th in Learfield Director’s Cup standings - July 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball non-conference schedule close to finished - June 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017