The 6-foot-9 forward from Our Savior New American on Long Island sat courtside with teammate Kassoum Yakwe as Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski won the 1,000th game of his career with a come-from-behind 77-68 win over St. John’s. The 6-7 Yakwe is a junior wing being courted by St. John’s, Kansas, Iowa State and others.
Najee Clayton, the 6-3, 215-pound safety from Paramus (N.J.) Catholic, has committed to Rutgers, following an official visit to the school this past weekend, he told NJ Advance Media, Monday morning. Clayton, a three-star recruit, took official visits to Rutgers — where he was hosted by Kiy Hester — and Syracuse, but in the end, the Scarlet Knights won out. “Everyone down there is family and real with you,” said Clayton, a senior. “And at the end of the day, not even talking football, just academic-wise, the professors, the tutors, they really care about you. And that’s great.
Jordan Tucker had 38 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, but Stepinac fell 80-79 at Archbishop Molloy. It was a career-high for Tucker, but the sophomore fouled out in the final minute. Senior Kylan Guerra, who had 25 points and four assists, had a 3-pointer rim out at the buzzer.
This is a very good St. Benedict’s squad, but the best players on the team are underclassmen. Trevon Duval is an absolutely excellent player and Nate Pierre-Louis is a great talent as well — they’re both sophomores. As they grow and get better, the Gray Bees will return to the status they’re accustom to. They’re still likely a Top 5 team in New Jersey — just not the best.
For the first 26 minutes of No. 5 Pope John’s eventual 72-40 win over University at the Newark National Invitational Sunday, star Syracuse-signee Moustapha Diagne was held scoreless. The 6-foot-9 245 pound interior presence registered his first points with the game effectively decided, Pope John possessing a 23 point lead with six minutes remaining.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017