In our 2014-15 basketball preview, host Wes Cheng welcomes on an All-Star cast on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast on SNY.tv. First, ESPN and SNY college basketball analyst Tim Welsh comes on to make some bold predictions about the team. Then, Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters give his initial impressions about this year’s squad. Finally, 2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe gives his take on what to make of the NCAA investigation.
Here are the highlights from the interview:
The Juice Online: Coach, you’ve been spot on with your predictions each time you’ve come on the program. So what’s your predictions for the team this year?
Tim Welsh: I think they’re going to have one of those years that’s going to be fun to watch. I think they’re going to hit some bumps in the road early in the season until they find an identity, especially with a freshman point guard in [Kaleb] Joseph. But by the middle of February heading into March, I think they’re going to be a team that you’ll look to see have a chance to go to the Final Four and they’re going to be playing their best basketball because they have a lot of balance with young players that are going to develop. And hopefully we’re spot on again.
The Juice Online: Who is going to be the player on this year’s team that we’re talking about two or three months from now?
Mike Waters: Probably Chris McCullough. I think he looks good. He looks looks the part. He looks like a future NBA player. 6-foot-10, he’s got the height, he’s got the length, he’s very athletic, and the cherry on top is that he’s got a sweet, soft jump shot. He made a 3-pointer in Sunday’s exhibition against Carleton. The only reason why I hesitated is because there are a couple of other candidates, because it could be Trevor Cooney. Because it always seems like Syracuse fans are debating about Trevor Cooney whether he’s just come off a good game, or coming off a bad game. If Trevor Cooney always seems to strike a good conversation among Syracuse fans. But just in terms of whose going to be playing well and getting attention in a couple of months, I’m going to go with Chris McCullough..
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. ESPN and SNY’s Tim Welsh calls in
3. How does Boeheim deal with NCAA investigation?
4. Who is going to be the go-to player for Syracuse this year?
5. Predictions on the season
6. Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters calls in
7. Most talked about player two months from now?
8. Biggest threat in the ACC?
9. Best part about covering the ACC?
10. Andrew Kouwe and Wes talk about the upcoming season
11. How did Boeheim deal with distractions?
12. Thoughts on the Carleton exhibition?
13. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016