Earlier on Saturday, the Syracuse women’s basketball team took to the floor for their NCAA Tournament tip-off in Lexington, Kentucky. It was a successful appearance for the sixth-seeded Orange, as they grabbed the first tournament win in school history, holding off 11-seed Chattanooga, 59-53.
SU (23-9) bullied the Mocs (29-4) in the game, outrebounding them by a 52-36 margin. There was a simple reason for all those rebounds – plenty of missed shots. Chattanooga outshot Syracuse in the game, but made only 34.4 percent of their field goal attempts. The Orange made only 31.5 percent of their shots from the floor, including 1-of-15 from three-point-range, but they made up for it by making 24-of-31 free throws. The Mocs, in sharp contrast, were only 4-of-14 at the line.
Syracuse had three players post double figures in scoring, led by Shakeya Leary’s 15 points. The other two, Brianna Butler and Brittney Sykes, each posted a double-double. Both players scored 13 points and Sykes grabbed a dozen rebounds while Butler had ten. Sykes contributed her effort before leaving the game in the second half with a leg injury.
The Orange will look to extend their season on Monday when they take on third-seeded Kentucky. The Wildcats (25-8) throttled Wright State in their opening contest, 106-60. The SU-Kentucky game will be at 6:40pm Eastern and will be televised as part of ESPN2’s coverage, as well as available online at espn3.com.
- Tyus Battle’s injury overshadows Syracuse’s victory over Toledo - November 23, 2017
- Chukwu notches first career double-double as Syracuse tops Oakland - November 20, 2017
- Syracuse basketball surges in second half to cruise past Texas Southern - November 19, 2017
- With no fight left, Syracuse makes its nightmare complete against Louisville - November 19, 2017
- Tyus Battle’s career night lifts Syracuse to 71-62 win over Iona - November 15, 2017
- Syracuse shows it’s very much a work in progress in loss to Wake Forest - November 12, 2017
- In matchup of Boeheims, Syracuse easily defeats Cornell - November 11, 2017
- Schedule analysis and season prediction — 2017-18 Syracuse Basketball Preview - November 10, 2017
- Roster analysis — 2017-18 Syracuse Basketball Preview - November 9, 2017
- Season review & First look — 2017-18 Syracuse Basketball Preview - November 8, 2017