Syracuse finished the regular season with a 27-4 record after a 74-58 win over Florida State on Sunday afternoon. Here are some thoughts from the game:
The return of Jerami Grant. He looked rusty at first, but certainly showcased his trademark athleticism as the game wore on. He finished with 16 points and 8 rebounds in 35 minutes and moved well without the ball. Grant’s ability to be an offensive threat takes some of the heat off CJ Fair and allows Fair to work more in one-on-one situations.
The Orange rebounded the ball extremely well. This goes hand-in-hand with Grant’s return. Grant is SU’s leading rebounder and his eight rebounds were part of SU dominating FSU on the glass, 43-24. The Orange shot 48 percent from the field, and on the occasions when they were missing, 17 offensive rebounds turned into 19 second-chance points.
CJ Fair had his midrange game working. Death. Taxes. Fair’s midrange jumper. It was in vintage form today, as Fair dropped a game-high 22 points on just 13 shots. Fair started the second half by hitting on three straight shots from the 15-18 foot range. If that were NBA Jam, the announcer would be saying that “He’s On Fire!” And, he was.
Syracuse finally got out in transition. The 2-3 zone finally asserted itself against an opponent today, and Syracuse was able to wake its long dormant transition game as a result. The box score only shows six fast-break points, but it also shows that the Orange scored 14 points off turnovers. Tyler Ennis was one of the main beneficiaries, as he finished with 16 points. That of course isn’t possible without a staunch defense, which limited Florida State to 38 percent shooting from the field, and 4 of 14 shooting from 3-point land.
Trevor Cooney still needs to get going. If you take out Cooney’s 9-for-12 performance against Notre Dame, Cooney is shooting just 33 for 122 from downtown in ACC play, or 27 percent. That includes Cooney’s 2 for 8 day against Florida State. I credit Cooney for continuing to try to shoot through his prolonged slump, but if the Orange want to make any kind of run in the NCAA tournament, Cooney needs to be shooting at least five percentage points higher.
- Tyus Battle could make college decision as early as June — Cuse Clicks - April 24, 2015
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim visiting with Kobi Simmons — Cuse Clicks - April 22, 2015
- What kind of freshman season will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson have? - April 17, 2015
- Maryland latest to offer 2017 guard Trevon Duval — Cuse Clicks - April 16, 2015
- Syracuse offers 6-foot-11, 2017 forward Mohammed Bamba — Cuse Clicks - April 15, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates Hobart from every angle - April 15, 2015
- Kentucky latest to jump in Kobi Simmons sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - April 14, 2015
- Syracuse Alumni Team adds Demetris Nichols to roster, could add Andy Rautins, Paul Harris - April 14, 2015
- Jamal Murray shines in Nike Hoop Summit championship — Cuse Clicks - April 13, 2015
- North Carolina holds off Syracuse lacrosse’s rally for 17-15 win - April 12, 2015