A quick take on Syracuse’s 57-44 win against Clemson on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange closed the first half with a 9-0 run, opening up a game that had been tight from the opening jump. Clemson was never able to get all the way back in it, as the SU lead never shrank below five points. Trevor Cooney delivered the knockout blow, closing a 15-5 SU run with a three-ball with just over two minutes on the clock that boosted Syracuse to a 15-point lead.
ANALYSIS: Clemson hung around in the first half by making their free throws. They were undone by their offense, though, as they shot a mere 34.1 percent from the floor in the game. SU pounded the Tigers inside, finishing the night with a 32-14 advantage in points in the paint.
HERO: On a night when possessions were at a premium, C.J. Fair consistently delivered for the Orange. The senior forward topped all scorers with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the floor.
ZERO: This dubious distinction belongs to either Rakeem Christmas, who spent almost nine minutes of the second half on the pine with four fouls or the officials who made some interesting calls to help get him there. Not helping matters was Baye Moussa Keita sitting out the second half with a sprained knee, forcing Jerami Grant into the center spot of the 2-3 zone.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will play the Pitt Panthers on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. in Pittsburgh, PA. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse blows lead but holds off Connecticut to move to .500 - September 25, 2016
- Syracuse football’s lead collapses against USF with thump - September 18, 2016
- Syracuse football’s flaws exposed in 62-28 rout by Louisville - September 10, 2016
- Syracuse football’s new uptempo offense runs Colgate ragged - September 3, 2016
- Overall Outlook and Prediction — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - September 2, 2016
- Schedule Analysis — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - September 1, 2016
- Special Teams — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 31, 2016
- Defense — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 30, 2016
- Offense — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 29, 2016
- Boeheim’s Army advances with 86-82 win over North Broad Street Bullies - July 18, 2016