A quick take on Syracuse’s 57-44 win against Clemson on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange closed the first half with a 9-0 run, opening up a game that had been tight from the opening jump. Clemson was never able to get all the way back in it, as the SU lead never shrank below five points. Trevor Cooney delivered the knockout blow, closing a 15-5 SU run with a three-ball with just over two minutes on the clock that boosted Syracuse to a 15-point lead.
ANALYSIS: Clemson hung around in the first half by making their free throws. They were undone by their offense, though, as they shot a mere 34.1 percent from the floor in the game. SU pounded the Tigers inside, finishing the night with a 32-14 advantage in points in the paint.
HERO: On a night when possessions were at a premium, C.J. Fair consistently delivered for the Orange. The senior forward topped all scorers with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the floor.
ZERO: This dubious distinction belongs to either Rakeem Christmas, who spent almost nine minutes of the second half on the pine with four fouls or the officials who made some interesting calls to help get him there. Not helping matters was Baye Moussa Keita sitting out the second half with a sprained knee, forcing Jerami Grant into the center spot of the 2-3 zone.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will play the Pitt Panthers on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. in Pittsburgh, PA. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse football showing improvement in all three phases - October 16, 2017
- Syracuse football pulls off epic upset, toppling No. 2 Clemson - October 14, 2017
- Tale of the talent tape: Clemson vs. (10 years of) Syracuse football - October 12, 2017
- For Syracuse, a slow start, but a good ending against Pittsburgh - October 8, 2017
- Dino Babers is not a magician, Syracuse football still needs time - October 2, 2017
- Penalties prove costly as Syracuse football loses to NC State - October 1, 2017
- How does Syracuse football compare to last year through four games? - September 29, 2017
- Syracuse football shows some spirit but still loses to LSU - September 24, 2017
- Syracuse football rediscovers offense in rout of Central Michigan - September 17, 2017
- Scott Shafer lifts Middle Tennessee over Syracuse in return to Carrier Dome - September 10, 2017