Before we dig into our turkey plates and scarf down stuffing and yams, I wanted to take the opportunity to write about five things I’m thankful for in the 2013-14 Syracuse athletics season.
1. Scott Shafer: Will Syracuse make a bowl game? Will they miss it? I’m not sure, but I am thankful for the direction this program is headed. Remember, Doug Marrone only won four games in his rookie season, and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named won one (ONE!) lousy game in 2005. Shafer has already surpassed that win title, and has SU within one win of bowl eligibility. More important is that the team has still continued to carry the momentum from the Marrone era to this point. Shafer has the right enthusiasm and temperament for the job, and SU is still pulling in decent recruits.
2. The ACC. You may be in the traditionalist crowd. You may not like that Syracuse will no longer play Georgetown in conference play. You may miss the easy road trips up to Providence or Seton Hall. But if you look at the remnants of the Old Big East that has continued in the shell of the American Athletic Conference, Syracuse is in a far, far better place now. The game of realignment is a delicate dance of musical chairs, and SU has secured a seat. They could easily have ended up in the same spot as Connecticut, Cincinnati or South Florida.
4. And this.
5. Which all leads back to Jim Boeheim. It’s incredible that Syracuse has been so consistently good for so long without a major hiccup (ie – a losing season). Boeheim has only gotten better with time, considering that the program for the first time in school history has been to back-to-back Elite 8s, and Boeheim has become part of only a handful of coaches to take his team to the Final Four in four different decades (1987, 1996, 2003, 2013). This season’s squad has plenty of promise as it gets set to navigate the uncharted waters of ACC conference play.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016