SNY and ESPN college basketball analyst, and former Providence and Syracuse coach Tim Welsh calls in to preview the upcoming Syracuse basketball season with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman also calls in to chat about Syracuse’s tough win over Wake Forest.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/118708170″ width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Here are some highlights from the podcast:
The Juice Online: Coach, there is a lot of preseason hype at Syracuse this year. Is it deserved?
Tim Welsh: I really believe it is. I spent some time up there a few weeks ago going to practice, I had dinner with Jim Boeheim, talking to the players, talking to the staff. Just seeing the team up close and personally, I just think they’re so deep and they’ve got experience and they’ve got size and they lost a lot, there’s no question, they lost of experience. You look at what they lost in the backcourt with the players, you talk about Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams, two guys who were winners, Triche four years, Michael Carter-Williams was one of the top point guards in the country last year and you see what he’s doing in the NBA currently, but I think they’d done a nice job. One of the most underrated things that Syracuse has done over the last 10 years, maybe even longer, is player development. I look at a guy like Trevor Cooney, DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant, you just look at their improvement from this time last season to where they are now, it’s tremendous and it goes to their work ethic and also the coaching staff.
TJO: How do you see freshman Tyler Ennis playing this season taking over for Carter-Williams?
TW: Tyler Ennis is the most important player. He’s going to run the team. The point guard in Jim Boeheim’s system is the most important player and Ennis is going to be handed the keys and I’m certain he’s going to be terrific. Jim has a lot of confidence in him. He’s talented, he’s confident, he’s mature, and he’s going to get the job done for them. You’re going to see a lot of wins and a lot of fun nights up in Syracuse.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. SNY/ESPN college basketball analyst Tim Welsh calls in
3. Preseason hype?
4. Backcourt depth an issue?
5. More on CJ Fair
6. Predictions on the season
7. Brad Bierman calls in
8. Syracuse’s win over Wake Forest
9. Looking forward toward Maryland
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson commits to Syracuse - July 2, 2016
- Jake Pickard — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 30, 2016
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Eric Coley, Allen Stritzinger, Cameron Jordan, Dakota Davis to Syracuse - June 27, 2016
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016