VILLANOVA, PA. – A quick take on Syracuse’s 13-9 victory against host Villanova in the Big East Lacrosse Championship final, SU’s Big East farewell, and another standout tournament performance on another beautiful May day for ‘Cuse lax in suburban Philadelphia:
WHAT HAPPENED: Following a first half in which ‘Nova only trailed 8-5 because it won the faceoff battle (9-5), the third quarter belonged to the Orange as they ran past the ‘Cats to go up 11-6 entering the final period. As in the regular season meeting, Villanova slowly crept back in it, taking advantage of winning faceoffs and getting SU in man-down situations to pull within two at 11-9. But Dylan Donahue’s goal with 6:47 left made it 12-9, SU then added one late goal and held off VU’s final flurry.
WHAT IT MEANS:The Orange (13-3) go into the NCAA Tournament red-hot having defeated Notre Dame twice and Villanova (7-8) on its home field with the Wildcats playing for their only entree to the NCAA field over the last week, and it figures Syracuse is likely no worse than the #2 seed in next week’s NCAA bracket.
STAR GAZING:Tournament most outstanding player, attack Kevin Rice with 2 goals and 3 assists, and first line middie Scott Loy with 3 goals stand out among the nine Orange players in the scoring column. A mention also to faceoff specialist Chris Daddio who got ’em when he needed ’em despite the overall 15-11 VU edge.
WHAT’S NEXT: The NCAA Tournament Selection Show Sun. (tomorrow) night in which the Orange will officially find out their seed in the 16 team field, and opponent they will host in the Dome next weekend. It will be the 33rd NCAA appearance for the ‘Cuse. Our guess, the Sun. night (May 12) 7:30 p.m. ET slot, as weather is not a factor under the Teflon Top. Selection Show: Sun. May 5 9:00 p.m. ET / TV: ESPNU
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017