After Syracuse’s impressive 9-3 win against Notre Dame in the Big East Lacrosse Championship semifinals, SU will play Villanova for the Big East Championship on Saturday.
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: The Orange defense dominated the Irish (11-4) for the second time in five days, holding Notre Dame to just three goals. The Irish, a team that many had forecast as the top seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament, had a combined total of just seven goals in wins on Saturday (10-4) and in this game. That has been due to the impregnable goal-tending of Dom Lamolinara and the close defense trio of Brian Megill, Sean Young, and David Hamlin. All Big East Second Team Selection Derek Maltz led SU with a pair of goals and assists.
IN VILLANOVA’S LAST GAME: A four-goal second quarter propelled the top-seeded Wildcats past fourth-seeded Georgetown, 15-12, in the other Big East Championship Semifinal. Jack Rice, Nick Doherty, Will Casertano and Eric Gartner accounted for four unanswered goals in the second quarter, as Villanova took command of the game by holding Georgetown scoreless for 21:56. Rice led Villanova with five goals. The win evened VU’s record at 7-7, which means that Saturday is the only way for Villanova to make the NCAA tournament (they do not allow teams with losing records to participate).
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS: For the first time in program history, the Wildcats won the regular season Big East title. They did it with a balanced offensive attack featuring five players that have scored 20 or more points this season. Rice has led the way, with 35 goals, while John LoCascio was named Big East Defensive Player of the Year.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series 5-2, but will certainly be seeking revenge for a 11-10 loss on March 23. In that game, Syracuse won just two of 25 faceoffs, as the Wildcats scored twice in the final 2:51 of the fourth quarter to come from behind and upset the Orange for the second straight year.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, May 4 at 12 pm in Villanova, Pa. TV: ESPNU.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016