Item: Syracuse football finishes spring ball, now it’s the “off-season” until August pre-season camp.
Actually, before camp officially gets underway, the ACC coaches this week will review their teams post spring ball in a conference call with the media, and the league has its annual pre-season “Football Kickoff” event July 21-22, traditionally a Sunday-Monday of golf on some of North Carolina’s nicer courses, big meals, meetings, and media sessions for all the head coaches and select players at the posh and hospitable Grandover Resort midway between Greensboro and High Point.
As Scott Shafer continues to mold the program in his first head coaching position, there’s several similarities to the last time a new coach took over. Like Doug Marrone versus Minnesota in 2009, Shafer will have a chance to watch a likely quarterback battle for the starting job before opening up in his first game also against a Big Ten opponent.
All eyes will be on the purported QB duel between junior Terrel Hunt and incoming Oklahoma transfer Drew Allen who has a year of eligibility. It’s a nice problem to have in choosing a starter to face such a strong opponent as Penn State out of the gate on the big stage of MetLife Stadium, as opposed to hosting Wagner in the Dome.
Unlike Marrone, Shafer has a lot more talent and speed to work with on both sides of the ball, and his two new coordinators have begun to install their personal schemes, differentiating themselves from the previous regime.
The running game, a ‘Cuse staple no matter who’s manning the sideline, figures to pick up where it left off from its bowl game dominance, and new coordinator George McDonald brings a lot of positive energy and out-of-the box thinking to his role, while the defense has had players flying all over the field in spring workouts and scrimmages under new boss Chuck Bullough.
“Orangenation Rising” is the 2013 Syracuse football mantra, “a state of mind where passion, tradition and die-hard loyalty intersect.” There’s a lot to like about the direction of the program, and the new era will be here before you know it.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017