Syracuse used a stellar defensive performance to defeat Georgetown, 9-8, on Saturday. For the fifth straight game, the Orange played a game decided by a single goal.
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse’s D had struggled recently, but the Orange defense was the catalyst on Saturday. SU held the Hoyas scoreless for 23:30 in the second half, as the Orange turned a 6-5 deficit into a 9-6 lead. Though Georgetown pulled to within one with 1:13 left, Syracuse’s defense didn’t allow a shot the rest of the way. That was particularly impressive because Steve Ianzito broke his stick during Georgetown’s final possession, essentially giving Georgetown a man-up advantage.
WHAT IT MEANS: The Syracuse defense badly needed this one. In the past four games, the Orange had surrendered 12.5 goals per game, and goalie Dominic Lamolinara had struggled as well. The start of Saturday’s game seemed to repeat that pattern, because Lamolinara didn’t save a single shot in the first quarter as the Orange trailed 3-1. But Lamolinara settled down, and ended up with 10 saves on the day.
STAR GAZING: On a day when there wasn’t much offense to be found, Derek Maltz scored a pair of goals an added an assist. It was just the third time that SU failed to score in double digits this season.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will finish the regular season on Saturday, April 27 at 6:30 p.m. against Notre Dame in the Konica Minolta Big City Classic at MetLife Stadium. TV: ESPNU.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017