Syracuse, which has won its last three games by a combined three goals, will put its four game winning streak on the line when it hosts Hobart on Tuesday in its final home game of the season.
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: Syracuse, down five goals in the fourth quarter, forced eight Rutgers turnovers, and rallied to an improbable 12-11 win at the Carrier Dome. Derek Maltz scored the game-tying and game-winning goal, the last coming with 10 seconds left to complete the Orange comeback.
IN HOBART’S LAST GAME: The Statesmen had their own thriller, as Jake McHenry scored with 49 seconds left in double-overtime to give Hobart a 9-8 win over Bellarmine on Saturday. The Statesmen were lead by Alex Love’s four goals. It marked the first time in school history that the Statesmen won consecutive overtime games.
SCOUTING THE STATESMEN: Once again, Love has been the key to Hobart’s offense. He was an All-ECAC Second Team selection in 2012 while setting a school record with 38 goals. The junior attackman is second in the nation in goals average, with more than three goals a game, and ripped SU for four goals last year. His partner on offense has been Cam Stone, who leads the team with 26 assists, and has chipped in 15 goals.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The Orange have a 71-25-2 all time series lead against Hobart, including a 13-12 win at Geneva last year. Syracuse and Hobart will meet for the 99th time in history. It will also be the 28th year that the two teams will compete for the Kraus-Simmons Trophy. Syracuse has the trophy 25 times during its existence including every match since 2006. The other time Hobart won the trophy was in 1987. The trophy is named for Roy Simmons Jr. and Babe Kraus, who each won over 200 games in their head coaching careers. The teams first met on April 26, 1916, SU’s first-ever varsity opponent.
GAME INFORMATION: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm ET at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: TWCS.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017