Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim stated that he has no plans on retiring at the end of the season on ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption on Wednesday.
“I fully intend to coach next year going to the ACC,” Boeheim said. “I’ve never though of riding into the sunset with a win.”
Boeheim will be coaching in his fourth Final Four this weekend, when Syracuse takes on Michigan in the national semifinal in Atlanta, Georgia. He had previously coached in the 1987, 1996 and 2003 Final Fours, making this the fourth consecutive decade he will have made the Final Four.
He is just the fourth coach to accomplish that feat, joining Rick Pitino, Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith.
As has become an annual ritual, there was speculation about whether Boeheim would retire at the end of this season. Boeheim fueled that even more following a devastating 61-39 loss to Georgetown to close the regular season when he was asked to reminisce about the old Big East.
“Well, you know, I’m pretty much ready to go play golf somewhere,” Boeheim said. “If I was 40 years old, I’d be real upset. I’m not 40 years old. That should be obvious, though.”
But Syracuse rebounded in the Big East tournament, coming within a half of winning the final Big East championship as we know it. SU also steamrolled through the East region, knocking off Marquette 55-39 on Saturday.
Boeheim is the only original coach in the (old) Big East still remaining. He is now in his 37th season as head coach, and from the sound of it, will return for his 38th year.
“Win or lose this tournament, that will have no affect on the decision that all,” Boeheim said.
- Can Syracuse still make the NCAA Tournament? - January 23, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Notre Dame 84 - January 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 76, Boston College 53 - January 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 73, Virginia Tech 83 - January 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Pittsburgh 66 - January 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Miami 55 - January 4, 2017
- Kouwe: Syracuse basketball ‘will get better from here’ - January 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Boston College 96 - January 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Cornell 56 - December 27, 2016
- Cornell Big Red — 2016-17 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - December 26, 2016