A quick take on Syracuse’s 58-53 loss to Louisville on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: With 53 seconds left and the game tied at 48, Luke Hancock buried a baseline 3 to give Louisville control of the game. Russ Smith then hit a pair of free throws and Brandon Triche turned the ball over on the ensuing possession as Louisville got revenge for their Jan. 19 home loss to SU.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse is limping to the end of the regular season. They’ve lost three straight now to the top teams in the Big East and are eliminated from the possibility of winning the Big East regular season title. It came on an afternoon where neither team could shoot the ball. Louisville shot 36 percent from the field, while SU was at 35 percent. The Orange looked better on offense with more ball movement and better shot selection, but they simply couldn’t hit open shots.
HERO: Gorgui Dieng dominated the paint, pulling down 14 rebounds while adding 11 points. Russ Smith led the Cardinals with 18. As for Syraucse, who else but Mr. Consistent, CJ Fair? With Syracuse playing its most critical game to date, Fair took the most shots (20) and lead the team in points (19) and added six rebounds.
ZERO: Peyton Siva just can’t play well against Syracuse. He was 0-9 from the field, missing all 8 of his shots and went scoreless. Triche was nearly unstoppable the first time these two teams met in January, with 23 points. He had no such luck against the Cardinals, shooting 2-11 from the field, and had almost as many turnovers (7) as points (8).
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange will try to put an end to their losing streak when they host DePaul on March 6 at 6 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in the final home game of the season. TV: SNY.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016