NEW YORK – A quick take on Syracuse’s 83-79 upset loss to Temple in the Gotham Classic championship at Madison Square Garden denying Jim Boeheim his 901st career win and handing the Orange their first defeat of the season:
WHAT HAPPENED: In a very entertaining game for the Garden spectators and national ESPN TV audience, Temple shook off a 2-point halftime deficit to race out to an eight-point advantage halfway through the second half, the largest deficit for the Orange this season, before holding on and hitting their free throws down the stretch.
ANALYSIS: Well-coached Temple had no problem figuring out the SU zone, seemingly finding the open man for second half open jump shots, and beating the Orange full court pressure for easy opportunities underneath the basket.
HERO: Owls leading scorer Khalif Wyatt shook off a poor outing in Temple’s loss to Canisius Wednesday night by pouring in a game-high 33-points, keyed by hitting all fifteen of his free throws.
ZERO: The Syracuse offense and poor free throw shooting. Michael Carter-Williams entered the game leading the nation with 10.3 assists a game. The entire SU team finished with eight assists and missed 15 of its 34 free throws. .
WHAT’S NEXT: The Orange return home to play Alcorn State on Saturday, Dec. 29th at 7 p.m. TV: Big East Network/TWC/SNY.
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017