Syracuse struggled in the first five minutes before cruising to a 84-48 win. Here are my grades from the game:
CJ Fair: C+
Fair has turned in a series of unimpressive performances after his 17 point opener against SDSU. The junior forward isn’t hitting the same kind of shots he was hitting last season. He went 3-10 from the field for another quiet 9 points.
Rakeem Christmas: B
Christmas was solid on the offensive glass, picking up 5 of his 6 rebounds there. But he had a tough time navigating against the 7-footer, Da’Shonte Riley and had several of his shot attempts blocked.
DaJuan Coleman: B+
Coleman was a steadying presense inside, and finished with 14 points and 5 rebounds. He’s also got an excellent touch from the free throw line, and hit all four of his attempts. It’s so rare to see that in an SU big man.
Brandon Triche: B+
Triche did a bit of everything tonight with 12 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 steals. He looks most comfortable when he’s playing point guard, though he did turn the ball over 4 times.
Michael Carter-Williams: B
Carter-Williams was wild and sloppy with the ball early, coughing up the ball 5 times in the first half. He settled down in the second half, and turned the ball over just once. He once again flirted with a triple-double, with 11 points, 11 assists and 7 rebounds. But his outside shooting is getting exposed as a liability. He went 0-4 from downtown.
James Southerland: D
This was a classic let-down game. Southerland missed all 5 of his 3-point attempts after his 35 point outburst at Arkansas. SU coach Jim Boeheim joked after the game that Southerland enjoyed shooting more in Arkansas. He got plenty of good looks, but the shots weren’t falling tonight. That’ll happen.
Baye Keita: B+
Keita continues to be the most steady and dependable center Syracuse has. In 10 minutes, he scored 6 points on 3-3 shooting, and added 5 rebounds and a block. Again, he did all of that in 10 minutes.
Trevor Cooney: B
I’ve been waiting to give Cooney a good grade. Finally, the shots were falling, and he even had a nice dunk for conventional 3-point play toward the end of the second half for 11 points. Before the game, Cooney was canning all of his practice shots. Now, we can only hope it starts to translate into games.
Jerami Grant: A
Christmas better be looking over his shoulder come Big East play, because Grant is vying for time, and it will come at the expense of Rakeem. His 11 points came on an array of inside moves, and he threw a 3-pointer in there for good measure. If he keeps playing like that, Boeheim will have to find ways to get him minutes.
- 2016 forward Sedee Keita has several high-major offers — Cuse Clicks - November 25, 2014
- 2016 5-star point guard Kobi Simmons visits Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 24, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014