A quick take on Syracuse’s bowl destination and opponent:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse announced at around 5:15 p.m. on Sunday evening that they accepted a bid to play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday, December 29 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY at 3:15 pm. (TV: ESPN). About an hour later, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that the Orange would be playing familiar foe West Virginia for one last Battle for the Schwartzwalder Trophy.
- There are two schools of thought here. One is the “been there, done that” line of reasoning. West Virginia and Syracuse have met at least once a year dating back to the 1955 season. So there isn’t that unique feeling of a bowl game had Syracuse played Baylor or Texas Tech.
- The other “been there, done that” would be the bowl game itself. Syracuse was just here two years ago, and the Belk Bowl would’ve been a nice introduction to the ACC. The Russell Athletic Bowl would’ve given an opportunity to play in a warmer climate. Then again, the payoff for the Pinstripe Bowl is about $100K more than the Belk, and the Orange will definitely have no problems packing the stadium. Syracuse is, after all, New York’s College team, and not North Carolina’s or Florida’s College Team.
- Another benefit to playing in New York City is the recruiting factor. SU has done well in the New York City region, and this game will only help that.
- West Virginia may not be the most novel opponent, but it’s a nice end to the Schwartzwalder Trophy era. Plus, the Mountaineers are a much bigger rival than any other Big 12 school, which gives the game another interesting angle. I guess that means that Syracuse will be playing for two trophies, now.
- Mountaineer fans seem to be complaining about the lack of national exposure. Well, Syracuse got plenty of national exposure after the 49-24 drubbing the last time these two teams met. Yes, those are fighting words.
- Whether you’re happy that Syracuse is playing in this game or not, you still have to be happy that SU is even in a bowl game, given that Syracuse started the season 2-4. Back in October, a Bowl Game seemed like a distant possibility.
- Seats for students are $25. And it’s on winter break. And it’s on a Saturday. No excuses!
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse extends offer to Donovan Jeter - February 8, 2016
- Bailey: Syracuse fans ‘should be happy’ with incoming 2016 football class - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers Joel Honigford, Jairus Grissom, Izayah Green-May, JaVont’e Richardson - February 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Scout ranks Syracuse 43rd in average class stars - February 4, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse adds impressive class on 2016 National Signing Day - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: DeVaughn Cooper to choose between Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State - February 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse loses out on Stewart Reese, Josh White - February 2, 2016
- Frank Howard dazzles as Syracuse rallies to defeat Georgia Tech - February 1, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Adrian Killins visits Syracuse, sets decision date - February 1, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Georgia Tech 57 - January 30, 2016