A quick take on Syracuse’s bowl destination and opponent:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse announced at around 5:15 p.m. on Sunday evening that they accepted a bid to play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday, December 29 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY at 3:15 pm. (TV: ESPN). About an hour later, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that the Orange would be playing familiar foe West Virginia for one last Battle for the Schwartzwalder Trophy.
- There are two schools of thought here. One is the “been there, done that” line of reasoning. West Virginia and Syracuse have met at least once a year dating back to the 1955 season. So there isn’t that unique feeling of a bowl game had Syracuse played Baylor or Texas Tech.
- The other “been there, done that” would be the bowl game itself. Syracuse was just here two years ago, and the Belk Bowl would’ve been a nice introduction to the ACC. The Russell Athletic Bowl would’ve given an opportunity to play in a warmer climate. Then again, the payoff for the Pinstripe Bowl is about $100K more than the Belk, and the Orange will definitely have no problems packing the stadium. Syracuse is, after all, New York’s College team, and not North Carolina’s or Florida’s College Team.
- Another benefit to playing in New York City is the recruiting factor. SU has done well in the New York City region, and this game will only help that.
- West Virginia may not be the most novel opponent, but it’s a nice end to the Schwartzwalder Trophy era. Plus, the Mountaineers are a much bigger rival than any other Big 12 school, which gives the game another interesting angle. I guess that means that Syracuse will be playing for two trophies, now.
- Mountaineer fans seem to be complaining about the lack of national exposure. Well, Syracuse got plenty of national exposure after the 49-24 drubbing the last time these two teams met. Yes, those are fighting words.
- Whether you’re happy that Syracuse is playing in this game or not, you still have to be happy that SU is even in a bowl game, given that Syracuse started the season 2-4. Back in October, a Bowl Game seemed like a distant possibility.
- Seats for students are $25. And it’s on winter break. And it’s on a Saturday. No excuses!
- Duke, Kentucky check in on injured Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - December 22, 2014
- Ohio State still involved in VJ King recruitment — Cuse Clicks - December 19, 2014
- Maryland, Wake Forest latest to offer Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - December 18, 2014
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson may be ‘best shooter’ in NJ — Cuse Clicks - December 17, 2014
- Syracuse picks up verbal from Pennsylvania TE/DE Amir Ealey — Cuse Clicks - December 15, 2014
- Kentucky still alive in Thomas Bryant sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - December 11, 2014
- Breaking down the start to Syracuse basketball’s season - December 11, 2014
- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski meets with Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - December 10, 2014
- Jamal Murray stars at Hoopfest, may reclassify to 2015 — Cuse Clicks - December 8, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, St. John’s 69 - December 6, 2014