A quick take on Syracuse’s bowl destination and opponent:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse announced at around 5:15 p.m. on Sunday evening that they accepted a bid to play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday, December 29 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY at 3:15 pm. (TV: ESPN). About an hour later, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that the Orange would be playing familiar foe West Virginia for one last Battle for the Schwartzwalder Trophy.
- There are two schools of thought here. One is the “been there, done that” line of reasoning. West Virginia and Syracuse have met at least once a year dating back to the 1955 season. So there isn’t that unique feeling of a bowl game had Syracuse played Baylor or Texas Tech.
- The other “been there, done that” would be the bowl game itself. Syracuse was just here two years ago, and the Belk Bowl would’ve been a nice introduction to the ACC. The Russell Athletic Bowl would’ve given an opportunity to play in a warmer climate. Then again, the payoff for the Pinstripe Bowl is about $100K more than the Belk, and the Orange will definitely have no problems packing the stadium. Syracuse is, after all, New York’s College team, and not North Carolina’s or Florida’s College Team.
- Another benefit to playing in New York City is the recruiting factor. SU has done well in the New York City region, and this game will only help that.
- West Virginia may not be the most novel opponent, but it’s a nice end to the Schwartzwalder Trophy era. Plus, the Mountaineers are a much bigger rival than any other Big 12 school, which gives the game another interesting angle. I guess that means that Syracuse will be playing for two trophies, now.
- Mountaineer fans seem to be complaining about the lack of national exposure. Well, Syracuse got plenty of national exposure after the 49-24 drubbing the last time these two teams met. Yes, those are fighting words.
- Whether you’re happy that Syracuse is playing in this game or not, you still have to be happy that SU is even in a bowl game, given that Syracuse started the season 2-4. Back in October, a Bowl Game seemed like a distant possibility.
- Seats for students are $25. And it’s on winter break. And it’s on a Saturday. No excuses!
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 7, 2017
- Moe Neal — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 4, 2017