A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-53 win against Princeton on Wednesday night at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 10-2 lead, and led by double digits for most of the game until an 8-0 run midway through the second half pulled Princeton to within 45-39 with 13:43 left. But SU immediately responded with an 8-0 run of its own, and Princeton never got under 10 points after that.
ANALYSIS: The Orange survived the Princeton run with a stellar defensive performance. The Tigers were befuddled by SU zone, and committed 24 turnovers. The Orange collected 19 steals, led by James Southerland’s career-high five. But Southerland suffered the wrath of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim several times in overplaying his wing position, often setting up the Tigers for wide open 3s. Princeton shot 8-18 from downtown, which kept this from being a blow out. Syracuse took 57 shots while Princeton took 38.
HERO: Southerland finished with 22 points, five steals and four rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams approached triple-double territory, finishing with 10 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.
ZERO: Reigning Ivy League player of the Year Ian Hummer finished with 10 points but had 8 turnovers. Brandon Triche had a quiet night, with 3-11 shooting for 10 points and 5 turnovers. Syracuse was woeful from downtown, finishing 5-16.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will next play Colgate at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse - August 31, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Cycoby Burch will take officials before commiting - August 28, 2015
- Adelson: Syracuse football faces tough road to bowl game in 2015 - August 28, 2015
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 27, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Is the door open for Moustapha Diagne at Syracuse? - August 26, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Cycoby Burch to choose between Syracuse, three others - August 25, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Decommitted Amir Watts speaking to Syracuse - August 24, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Moustapha Diagne will not play for Syracuse - August 21, 2015
- Ervin Phillips — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse keeping tabs on 2017 athlete Brandon Sebastian - August 20, 2015