A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-53 win against Princeton on Wednesday night at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 10-2 lead, and led by double digits for most of the game until an 8-0 run midway through the second half pulled Princeton to within 45-39 with 13:43 left. But SU immediately responded with an 8-0 run of its own, and Princeton never got under 10 points after that.
ANALYSIS: The Orange survived the Princeton run with a stellar defensive performance. The Tigers were befuddled by SU zone, and committed 24 turnovers. The Orange collected 19 steals, led by James Southerland’s career-high five. But Southerland suffered the wrath of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim several times in overplaying his wing position, often setting up the Tigers for wide open 3s. Princeton shot 8-18 from downtown, which kept this from being a blow out. Syracuse took 57 shots while Princeton took 38.
HERO: Southerland finished with 22 points, five steals and four rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams approached triple-double territory, finishing with 10 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.
ZERO: Reigning Ivy League player of the Year Ian Hummer finished with 10 points but had 8 turnovers. Brandon Triche had a quiet night, with 3-11 shooting for 10 points and 5 turnovers. Syracuse was woeful from downtown, finishing 5-16.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will next play Colgate at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: CJ Holmes names Syracuse to top three, Orange offers slew of Florida prospects - May 3, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from graduate transfer John Gillon - May 2, 2016
- North Carolina Tar Heels — 2016 Syracuse ACC Tournament scouting report - April 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: John Gillon names Syracuse to top 3, will visit - April 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Spike Albrecht to visit Syracuse after Grant Mullins commits to Cal - April 28, 2016