A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-53 win against Princeton on Wednesday night at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 10-2 lead, and led by double digits for most of the game until an 8-0 run midway through the second half pulled Princeton to within 45-39 with 13:43 left. But SU immediately responded with an 8-0 run of its own, and Princeton never got under 10 points after that.
ANALYSIS: The Orange survived the Princeton run with a stellar defensive performance. The Tigers were befuddled by SU zone, and committed 24 turnovers. The Orange collected 19 steals, led by James Southerland’s career-high five. But Southerland suffered the wrath of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim several times in overplaying his wing position, often setting up the Tigers for wide open 3s. Princeton shot 8-18 from downtown, which kept this from being a blow out. Syracuse took 57 shots while Princeton took 38.
HERO: Southerland finished with 22 points, five steals and four rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams approached triple-double territory, finishing with 10 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.
ZERO: Reigning Ivy League player of the Year Ian Hummer finished with 10 points but had 8 turnovers. Brandon Triche had a quiet night, with 3-11 shooting for 10 points and 5 turnovers. Syracuse was woeful from downtown, finishing 5-16.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will next play Colgate at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m. TV: SNY.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017