A quick take on Syracuse’s 73-53 win against Princeton on Wednesday night at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 10-2 lead, and led by double digits for most of the game until an 8-0 run midway through the second half pulled Princeton to within 45-39 with 13:43 left. But SU immediately responded with an 8-0 run of its own, and Princeton never got under 10 points after that.
ANALYSIS: The Orange survived the Princeton run with a stellar defensive performance. The Tigers were befuddled by SU zone, and committed 24 turnovers. The Orange collected 19 steals, led by James Southerland’s career-high five. But Southerland suffered the wrath of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim several times in overplaying his wing position, often setting up the Tigers for wide open 3s. Princeton shot 8-18 from downtown, which kept this from being a blow out. Syracuse took 57 shots while Princeton took 38.
HERO: Southerland finished with 22 points, five steals and four rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams approached triple-double territory, finishing with 10 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds.
ZERO: Reigning Ivy League player of the Year Ian Hummer finished with 10 points but had 8 turnovers. Brandon Triche had a quiet night, with 3-11 shooting for 10 points and 5 turnovers. Syracuse was woeful from downtown, finishing 5-16.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will next play Colgate at the Carrier Dome on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m. TV: SNY.
- NBA scout says former Syracuse star Rakeem Christmas’ draft stock is improving - May 28, 2015
- Syracuse among nine offers for Georgia RB Darius Stubbs — Cuse Clicks - May 26, 2015
- Dontae Strickland says he’s qualified to attend Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - May 22, 2015
- Kentucky, Oregon working hardest on Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - May 20, 2015
- Kurt Gavin plans to visit Syracuse after receiving offer — Cuse Clicks - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse season ends against Johns Hopkins - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse meets familiar foe Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament - May 15, 2015
- Dwayne Haskins, Jr. will announce college decision Friday — Cuse Clicks - May 14, 2015
- 2016 5-star guard Tyus Battle spurns Syracuse, selects Michigan — Cuse Clicks - May 12, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates in NCAA Tournament win over Marist - May 11, 2015