In the days leading up to each SU football game, The Juice Online will address questions about the team in our “Kickoff Countdown” segment.
Today’s question: Cincinnati defensive end Walter Stewart is out with an upper body injury. What impact will that have on Syracuse’s game against Cincinnati on Saturday?
Cincinnati, mired in its first losing streak of the season, is missing one of their top defensive players.
Defensive end Walter Stewart is out with an upper-body injury and won’t be back to play the Orange. Stewart, who has gotten plenty of looks from NFL scouts, had 22 tackles and four sacks on the season.
His absence has coincided with a two-game losing streak for the Bearcats.
“It’s not the reason why we’ve lost the last two games but when you take an NFL-caliber player out of your defense who’s a team leader and gives you an edge presence there’s going to be a drop-off,” Bearcats coach Butch Jones said on Monday during the Big East weekly coach’s teleconference. “He’s a great player and you just don’t replace those guys.”
Without Stewart chasing him, Cardinals quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw for a career-high 416 yards and a pair of fourth quarter touchdowns to rally Louisville past Cincinnati 34-31. Bridgewater was named the Big East’s Offensive Player of the Week.
“This was a game where we really missed Walter Stewart in every regard,” Jones said. “We missed his production and his leadership and everything he brings to our edge defense. He’s still going through consultation with getting second and third opinions but there has been no timetable (for his return) that has been reached.”
That can only help an Orange offense that is coming off a week in which it gained more than 500 yards in a 37-36 win over USF.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 shooting guard Robby Carmody - August 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands grad transfer guard Andrew White - August 29, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes cuts for Lonnie Walker, Jordan Tucker - August 26, 2016
- Adelson: Syracuse football improved, but still ‘four to five’ win team - August 24, 2016
- 2016 Syracuse Football Burning Questions: Can Eric Dungey stay healthy? - August 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska transfer Andrew White down to Syracuse, VCU - August 22, 2016
- Pittsburgh Panthers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - August 18, 2016
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Cameron Reddish hearing most from Villanova, Duke, Syracuse - August 16, 2016
- 2016 Syracuse Football Burning Questions: How will the defense adjust to Tampa 2? - August 15, 2016