In the days leading up to each SU football game, The Juice Online will address questions about the team in our “Kickoff Countdown” segment.
Today’s question: Cincinnati defensive end Walter Stewart is out with an upper body injury. What impact will that have on Syracuse’s game against Cincinnati on Saturday?
Cincinnati, mired in its first losing streak of the season, is missing one of their top defensive players.
Defensive end Walter Stewart is out with an upper-body injury and won’t be back to play the Orange. Stewart, who has gotten plenty of looks from NFL scouts, had 22 tackles and four sacks on the season.
His absence has coincided with a two-game losing streak for the Bearcats.
“It’s not the reason why we’ve lost the last two games but when you take an NFL-caliber player out of your defense who’s a team leader and gives you an edge presence there’s going to be a drop-off,” Bearcats coach Butch Jones said on Monday during the Big East weekly coach’s teleconference. “He’s a great player and you just don’t replace those guys.”
Without Stewart chasing him, Cardinals quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw for a career-high 416 yards and a pair of fourth quarter touchdowns to rally Louisville past Cincinnati 34-31. Bridgewater was named the Big East’s Offensive Player of the Week.
“This was a game where we really missed Walter Stewart in every regard,” Jones said. “We missed his production and his leadership and everything he brings to our edge defense. He’s still going through consultation with getting second and third opinions but there has been no timetable (for his return) that has been reached.”
That can only help an Orange offense that is coming off a week in which it gained more than 500 yards in a 37-36 win over USF.
- Tyus Battle could make college decision as early as June — Cuse Clicks - April 24, 2015
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim visiting with Kobi Simmons — Cuse Clicks - April 22, 2015
- What kind of freshman season will Syracuse G Malachi Richardson have? - April 17, 2015
- Maryland latest to offer 2017 guard Trevon Duval — Cuse Clicks - April 16, 2015
- Syracuse offers 6-foot-11, 2017 forward Mohammed Bamba — Cuse Clicks - April 15, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates Hobart from every angle - April 15, 2015
- Kentucky latest to jump in Kobi Simmons sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - April 14, 2015
- Syracuse Alumni Team adds Demetris Nichols to roster, could add Andy Rautins, Paul Harris - April 14, 2015
- Jamal Murray shines in Nike Hoop Summit championship — Cuse Clicks - April 13, 2015
- North Carolina holds off Syracuse lacrosse’s rally for 17-15 win - April 12, 2015