Here are 10 things we learned from Syracuse’s 28-17 win on Saturday over Stony Brook.
1. Three games in we still have no clue who this team is, but the Orange won their first game since Oct. 21, 2011, snapping a seven-game losing streak.
2. The Orange have not led a game at the half so far this season.
3. Ashton Broyld has moves like Jagger, but Miguel Maysonet can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Broyld had a crafty 22-yard run to put the Orange up 14-10 in the second quarter only to be matched by Maysonet’s 71-yard scamper that included hurdling a defensive player that was SportsCenter Top 10 worthy.
4. The Orange are a second half team. After giving up to 261 total yards in the first half, the Orange defense allowed just 50 yards and two first downs the rest of the way.
5. Syracuse has a major problem stopping the run and a major hole on the right side of their defensive line. A week after giving up 258 yards to the Trojans, the Orange allowed 217 to the Seawolves.
6. If you didn’t get a chance to listen to Coach MacPherson during the SNY telecast you missed out. No filter. Pure emotion. True coach.
7. The Orange were stopped twice on 4th & Goal by the Stony Brook defense. Enough said.
8. Doug Marrone may want to consider a sit-down conversation with his special teams coach. Senior kicker Ross Krautman missed a 45-yarder that would have tied it at 10 to start the second quarter, then on the Orange’s next possession shanked a 38-yarder that would have tied the game yet again. Overall, special teams looked less than impressive for the third straight game.
9. Say what you will about the Orange so far, but Ryan Nassib continues to put up solid offensive numbers. His 335 yards against the Seawolves make it 1,139 on the season — second in the nation only to Marshall’s Rakeem Cato (1,222).
10. The Orange continue to leave a lot of laundry on the field. And I’m not talking about the bottom half of Marquis Spruill’s jersey. I’m still not sure where that went during the game. Syracuse was penalized eight times for 80 yards, giving them a grand total of 25 for 192 yards through three games. Ouch!
- Five reasons why Syracuse shouldn’t play at MetLife anymore - September 2, 2013
- Syracuse vs. Temple — 10 Things We Learned - November 26, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Missouri — 10 Things We Learned - November 19, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Connecticut — 10 Things We Learned - October 22, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Rutgers — 10 Things We Learned - October 15, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh — 10 Things We Learned - October 8, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Minnesota — 10 Things We Learned - September 24, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Stony Brook — 10 Things We Learned - September 17, 2012
- Syracuse vs. USC — 10 Things We Learned - September 10, 2012
- Syracuse vs. Northwestern — 10 Things We Learned - September 3, 2012