Syracuse offensive tackle Justin Pugh will miss all of preseason training camp with a shoulder injury, coach Doug Marrone said during Big East media day on Tuesday.
Pugh suffered the injury during spring practice and didn’t participate in the spring game. He will be reevaluated at the end of August and could return as early as Syracuse’s season opener against Northwestern.
“My goal is not to miss any games. That would be the best situation for me,” Pugh said to The Juice Online’s Brad Bierman. “I feel good. I feel like I could play right now, but that’s not up to me. That’s up to the guys who are professionals in this field.”
Marrone took a more conservative approach.
“We don’t really know where it was going to be,” Marrone said. “He wound up getting surgery and having it repaired. We really don’t have an exact date yet (for his return), but we know it’s not going to be for the preseason.”
Pugh has started 25 games for the Orange over the past two years and was a First Team All Big East selection last season. He is on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, awarded annually to college football’s top interior lineman.
Marrone said sophomore Sean Hickey and redshirt freshman Kristofer Curtis would be possible candidates to fill in for Pugh.
“Justin Pugh has been a very good player for us, but it’s an opportunity (for Hickey),” Marrone said. “We’ve always felt great about Sean and his ability to play. Now is a great opportunity to go out there and play.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017