Eamon McAnaney is an on-air host, a play-by-play announcer and reporter for SNY and ESPN. He has also spent time at MSG Network, NBA TV and TNT Sports. Prior to his journalism career, McAnaney was a four-year letter winner at Notre Dame and captain in 1991 on men’s lacrosse as a defenseman.
We spoke with McAnaney to break down Syracuse’s chances in the NCAA lacrosse tournament.
The Juice Online: Why did Syracuse have a resurgence in the Big East tournament?
Eamon McAnaney: There were many factors for Syracuse’s resurgence and the biggest overall factor was playing with confidence and playing loose. Bobby Eilers has been a beast down the stretch and Tommy Palasek a consummate play maker which is allow other guys such as Hakeem Lecky and Bobby Walters to let it rip.
TJO: What is Syracuse going to have to do to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament?
EM: Syracuse has to hope the improvement in goal and face off game continues. Bobby Wardwell was sharp in Philadelphia (in the Big East championship) but at Duke is a completely different animal. Ricky Buhr had a career night against Villanova but against the Blue Devils it will be a 3 on 3 match instead of a 1 on 1 affair.
TJO: Syracuse will be playing at on Saturday, May 12 against third-seeded Duke in Durham, N.C. at 12 p.m. on ESPN. What are your predictions for the game?
EM: I think Duke will win a close game. Both teams are very different than when they played on April 1 but Duke has played at a higher level for a longer time that I don’t see them losing a first round game at home. Even though Syracuse did not have to exert that much energy in either Big East win last week it did have to play two games while Duke was resting. Fresh legs will play a role.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016