The Orange fell to .500 as they got dominated by Cornell, 12-6, at Schoellkopf Field. The Big Red extended its home winning streak to 15 games, the best in the NCAA, while winning its 700th game in school history.
WHAT HAPPENED: Tied at three at halftime, Cornell completely dominated the start of the third quarter with a 3-0 run to beat the Orange for the second time in as many years. The run started right out of halftime. As was the case most of the game, the Big Red won the faceoff to start the second half and Roy Lang immediately capitalized, beating freshman goalie Bobby Wardwell, making his second career start. Though the Orange won the ensuing faceoff, Tommy Palasek turned the ball over and Lang converted in transition again. Matt Donovan tacked on a third goal a little more than a minute later.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse was doubled up in the scoreboard, and was nearly doubled up in many other key aspects of the game. The most glaring was losing 14 of 22 faceoffs in the game, which lead to Cornell outshooting SU 46-24. Cornell also won the groundball battle 39-23 and forced 18 Orange turnovers. More importantly, it dropped the Orange back to .500 on the season, and took away any momentum Syracuse picked up from defeating Princeton over the weekend.
STAR GAZING: Max Van Bourgondien led Cornell with four goals and an assist while Lang finished with three goals. Derek Maltz and Bobby Eilers each had a pair of goals for SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play Rutgers in the ESPNU Warrior Classic on Saturday, April 14 at 11 a.m. TV: ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017