A quick take on the first half of Syracuse’s Elite 8 matchup against Ohio State:
WHAT HAPPENED: Ohio State grabbed a 9-2 lead with 16:13 left with Jared Sullinger getting a pair of baskets inside. But with Sullinger in early foul trouble, SU took its first lead of the game at 22-21 after a dunk by Baye Keita on a nice feed from Scoop Jardine. The teams would play even the rest of the half.
HALFTIME HEROES: Scoop Jardine had seven points and Dion Waiters had six, but had to sit more than he normally does after he picked up 2 fouls.
KEY STATS: One game after allowing 14 3s from Wisconsin, Syracuse is doing a much better job with its perimeter defense. The Buckeyes are shooting 1 for 8 from beyond the arc. Syracuse is not doing any better, going 2 for 7.
SECOND HALF KEYS:
1. Foul Trouble: Four Orange have two fouls each while only Sullinger on Ohio State has two. SU played from under 14 minutes without Sullinger, but couldn’t fully take advantage. The game could be a battle of attrition later on.
2. Containing the inside game: Syracuse is actually outscoring Ohio State 14-12 in the paint. That will change with Sullinger back in the second half.
3. Shot selection: Syracuse was frequently settling for too many outside shots. SU coach Jim Boeheim said before he went into the locker room that the Orange will need to work for better looks. Kris Joseph, who is 2 for 9, and has been struggling all tournament long, needs to get going.
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Brandon Randolph includes Syracuse in final four - September 13, 2016