In a shocking development on the eve of the NCAA basketball tournament preparations in Pittsburgh, SU center Fab Melo will not play for the East Region number one-seeded Orange in the NCAA Tournament due to an eligibility issue.
SU Assistant Athletics Director for Communications Sue Edson released the news as the team was departing for Pittsburgh, the site of second and third round games Thursday and Saturday, for the mandatory press conference and open practice in the arena tomorrow prior to Thursday afternoon’s game with 16th seed UNC-Ashville (approx. 3:10 pm).
The university had no other comment.
As The Juice Online has been reporting since January 11th, Melo has had academic-related issues leading up to missing three games in late January in which the Orange went 2-1. Melo started every other game of the season averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016