In a shocking development on the eve of the NCAA basketball tournament preparations in Pittsburgh, SU center Fab Melo will not play for the East Region number one-seeded Orange in the NCAA Tournament due to an eligibility issue.
SU Assistant Athletics Director for Communications Sue Edson released the news as the team was departing for Pittsburgh, the site of second and third round games Thursday and Saturday, for the mandatory press conference and open practice in the arena tomorrow prior to Thursday afternoon’s game with 16th seed UNC-Ashville (approx. 3:10 pm).
The university had no other comment.
As The Juice Online has been reporting since January 11th, Melo has had academic-related issues leading up to missing three games in late January in which the Orange went 2-1. Melo started every other game of the season averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, with 88 blocked shots.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017